Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th March 2021, 08:45 AM
Friend

Unhappy WTB:5x4 Enlarger or Beseler Dichro 45s head?

Last night my Beseler 5x4 enlarger head (a Beseler Dichro 45s) went kaput! On initial research on the forums I find it's a common problem with these heads and is difficult if not impossible to repair. The fan works and the filter LED's but the main lamp keeps popping. It appears to be a problem with a small electronic part on one of the cards. I will investigate further but I'm not into electronics etc.
So, with that in mind, if anyone has a reasonably priced 5x4 enlarger or a Dichro 45s head (quite unlikely as they are more on the US market I think) could you please PM me.
I am looking on eBay etc.
Thanks

Tony
Old 10th March 2021, 01:12 PM
Friend

There's a Durst AC1200 on the auction site just now, but "reasonably priced" is not something i think applies!

Mike
Old 10th March 2021, 02:12 PM
Friend

Thanks Mike but as business has been somewhat slower this past year I'll leave that one - especially 'untested'. I know 'reasonably priced' isn't the going rate these days for 5x4 enlargers but it's worth a try! I have had a recommendation to try an LED panel on top so looking at that possibility. The column, baseboard etc on my Beseler is absolutely solid and it would be a shame to get rid. Cheers, Tony

Tony
Old 10th March 2021, 06:35 PM
Friend

Hi Tony, there are a number of threads on replacing cold-light and condenser heads with LED panels on some of the other forums.

It might be worth dropping Heiland a note to see if they have a ready-made panel for your Beseler?

Mike
Old 10th March 2021, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
There's a Durst AC1200 on the auction site just now, but "reasonably priced" is not something i think applies!

Mike
Yes, I saw that too - not even the whole enlarger as far as I can see - not only needs the baseboard but the dedicated control unit, probe and power supply too - as it stands (and without the baseboard, it doesn't even do that ) it is about 15% of an AC1200. Or about 50% of an L1200...

A quick google suggests two options - a very old opto-isolator and bad edge connectors. You can't do much about the optoisolator if you don't know any electronics, but it may be worth reseating any plug-in cards a few times and possibly giving the connectors a clean in 99% IPA (isopropyl alcohol - not the ale, unfortunately...) with a toothbrush (don't scrub too hard).

Last edited by Bob; 10th March 2021 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11th March 2021, 09:48 AM
Friend

I’m thinking of altering the head to LED panels. Heiland do a panel to fit but I think it’s out of my price range. Alan Clark has done a conversion on his to LED so I’m having a chat with him about it. I have had a couple of offers of enlargers (thank you!) but the remaining bellows, column, baseboard etc are so solid on mine it’s worth sticking with it. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
Hi Tony, there are a number of threads on replacing cold-light and condenser heads with LED panels on some of the other forums.

It might be worth dropping Heiland a note to see if they have a ready-made panel for your Beseler?

Mike

Tony
Old 11th March 2021, 12:22 PM
Friend

If i ever reach the stage of not being able to source lamps for any of my heads, then i'd definitely look at LED's as a light source.

If you only need a "white" light source, then it shouldn't be too difficult, but if you head down the road of trying to change the light source colour for MG printing then it can be very hard to implement.

Mike
Old 15th May 2021, 03:10 PM
New User

Tony, There is a 45s head in Temecula, California on Craigslist for 250.00 US. You might be work something out with him.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies