Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th January 2011, 04:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
For the NaCl could water softner salt be used?

I use a solar salt in mine. It's rock salt.

The sodium chloride for photographic developers needs to be free of iodine and anti-caking agents. Pickling & Canning salt is fine for that.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 6th January 2011, 06:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
The sodium chloride for photographic developers needs to be free of iodine and anti-caking agents. Pickling & Canning salt is fine for that.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
In one of Tim Rudman's books he suggests Kosher salt as a suitable alternative to sodium chloride.
Old 6th January 2011, 11:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
In one of Tim Rudman's books he suggests Kosher salt as a suitable alternative to sodium chloride.
As long as it is free from iodide, it is suitable. If the Kosher salt fits that description, then it will be OK to use.

Last edited by Keith Tapscott.; 6th January 2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 26th April 2011, 11:06 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
Would you be interested in the formula for 'Perceptol'? I got it from a bloke who worked in Ilford's Woodman Road, Brentwood factory when it was being closed and all the gear was being given away to photo colleges or thrown away and workers lost their jobs.
Sodium Tripolyphosphate 3.5 gms
Metol 5.0 gms
Sodium Sulphite anhyd.100.0 gms
Sodium Chloride 30.0 gms
water to 1 Litre
I suppose the Sodium Tripolyphosphate could be left out if SOFT or DISTILLED water is used.

Then i supose that this is the stock solution? i mean, have I to use it like the Ilford original product ?
Is a very simple formula, is not?
Thank´s a lot.....
Old 18th December 2012, 11:12 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
Would you be interested in the formula for 'Perceptol'? I got it from a bloke who worked in Ilford's Woodman Road, Brentwood factory when it was being closed and all the gear was being given away to photo colleges or thrown away and workers lost their jobs.
Sodium Tripolyphosphate 3.5 gms
Metol 5.0 gms
Sodium Sulphite anhyd.100.0 gms
Sodium Chloride 30.0 gms
water to 1 Litre
I suppose the Sodium Tripolyphosphate could be left out if SOFT or DISTILLED water is used.
Sorry to reopen an old thread, but this formula works perfectly. I remembered it when recently talking to a photographer who mentioned Perceptol only being available in 1 litre size packs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/esfotos...7626030431074/
Old 15th February 2015, 11:09 PM
Friend

Pete: Thanks a lot for sharing the Perceptol formula. I no longer have to wait a month as and when I'd like to use it.

Keith: Thanks to your post, I noticed this formula.

Bests,

Ashfaque
Old 24th December 2018, 05:12 PM
Friend

Thank you so much for sharing the formula. By the way, Percetol is packaged in parts A and B. Is it ok (and safe) to mix all these components altogether at once or, if this is not the case, what are the respective components of each part ?
Old 24th December 2018, 07:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPhotographer View Post
Thank you so much for sharing the formula. By the way, Percetol is packaged in parts A and B. Is it ok (and safe) to mix all these components altogether at once or, if this is not the case, what are the respective components of each part ?
The problem with not mixing all of A with all of B is ensuring that each part of,say, 50% of A and B are still properly mixed. Some appear to have gotten away with part mixes but it's a risk. I'd certainly mix all of A and B if it were I. Besides which, the full mix only develops 4 films as stock, 8 as 1+1 and 13 max as 1+3 so in small bottles of 250ml should keep long enough unless your volume of film development is very small.

An empty winebag in a winebox for protection and dispensing when filled with 1L of stock should keep fresh long enough even if film volume is low. It is what I have used for its "keeping" properties

I have used the figure of 13 films max at 1+3 in my first para because Ilford has stated to me that about 70-75ml of stock is required per film.

Mike
Old 25th December 2018, 11:27 AM
Friend

Thank you, Mike. Of course you're absolutely right about not risking changing proportions of the components. I'm no chemist and should have better formulated my question : I need to know what are the respective components of each part, in order to be able to prepare the stock solution upon Ilford's recommendations ("To prepare stock developer, dissolve the contents of part A (the smaller bag) in about three-quarters of the total solution volume (see carton) of warm water at about 40ºC/104ºF. Stir until most of the part A powder has dissolved, continue to stir while
gradually adding the contents of Part B (the larger bag). Keep stirring until no more powder dissolves.")
One of my favorite film-developer combo for managing high contrast scenes is Ilford HP5+ exposed at 100 ISO and developed 8mn in Ilford Perceptol 1+1.
Old 25th December 2018, 07:29 PM
Friend

Hello, there. Have a look here and here.
Best regards, M.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies