Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st December 2019, 12:00 AM
Friend

Good news John. I may misunderstood your intentions but I thought you to have said that when you got back to RA4 after Xmas you'd switch to Kodak instead of Tetenal, so could that the one change that made the difference?

Mike
Old 31st December 2019, 08:43 AM
Friend

Default Tetenal change onto Kodak & LPL v Meopta

That is my intention Mike, but I have not had a time to order any and in any case have a bit of the Tetenal left. To get away from the madding crowd after Xmas day I had another go and this is the result.

I go back to Kodak, the initial cost may be more (about twice the price) but it works out over the life span/usage of the Kodak chemicals is around half the cost of buying 4 x Tetenal kits.

I am still working on a solution to get greater enlargements from the Meopta and run both enlargers in tandem when I need a greater size than 9.5 x 12 in B&W This may end with a big change around in the darkroom which will give me better use of the space. The main problem is the radiator is in the worst place possible and I will probably move it and the pipework so I have a full clear wall where I do not block the heating, but don't risk affecting the B&W and Colour paper.

Last edited by John King; 31st December 2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 31st December 2019, 01:02 PM
Friend

Sometimes these things are sent just to test us John. There's usually no obvious answer to the original problem and it just sorts itself out as and when it wants to.

It's now fingers crossed for you that it doesn't happen again, at least not for a good while.

Terry S
Old 31st December 2019, 02:00 PM
Friend

I wonder if the Tetenal problem was not due to the Tetenal crisis that now looks to be resolved. There was an issue with Xtol that it seems stemmed from Tetenal

We may never know

Mike
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:21 PM
Friend

I thought I would just give you a look what I have been printing. These are both A4 enlargements onto Kodak paper with the questionable(?) Tetenal developer. Scanned at 72DPI. No after work done after scanning apart from 2 dustmarks removed and the prints rotated as they were downloaded as portraits. No sharpening, contrast, saturation adjustments made.

The film was Fuji CN200 developed in Rollie C41. Camera was a Minolta XM using a Vivitar 28/90 varifocal lens. (Very heavy but also exceptionally sharp).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	North Shields Quay 1.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	3587   Click image for larger version

Name:	North Shields Quay 2.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	3588  

Last edited by John King; 2nd January 2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:34 AM
Friend

Both look pretty good to me.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies