Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd March 2021, 06:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
It also (presumably) has the advantage of being a complete solution for newcomers who might be daunted at buying a decades-old enlarger which might not have been used in years and possibly missing bits&pieces like carriers, power supply, lenses etc......
I couldn't agree more Michael and BTW, I use an LPL7700 enlarger as well as the Mk1 Intrepid 5x4 enlarger kit.
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:51 PM
Friend

Default New 'Enlarger'

Bring on all the newcomers to darkroom work, they do not know what they are missing.

As far as I can tell, this 'enlarger' is one designed to be used with multigrade paper and as we all must know by now MG only enlargers are more expensive than Colour ones - even 2nd hand. I would estimate the price to be 'in excess of £1000' If I had limited experience, that alone would put me off.
A good idea but one that needs more work in the thought department.
Old 19th March 2021, 04:38 PM
Friend

Just out of interest, the campaign is launching today.

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/blog/in...m-120-enlarger
Old 19th March 2021, 05:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Just out of interest, the campaign is launching today.

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/blog/in...m-120-enlarger
But I can't find a link anywhere to the 'back me' page - or am I just not looking hard enough?

Terry S

Edit: Just clicking on their Facebook link, it says a link will be provided at 6pm today:

The Intrepid Camera Co.

Today is the day! Our new compact Enlarger for printing and scanning 35mm/120 film launches on Kickstarter
at 18:00 GMT (14:00 EST) ��
Keep an eye on our social media as we will be sharing the direct Kickstarter link as soon as it launches!
Old 19th March 2021, 06:23 PM
Administrator

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...pid%20Enlarger

£250 with 35mm and MF carriers. And you still need to find a copy stand or similar to mount it on.

Not a bad price IMO (assuming it all works as advertised), but the lack of a proper column and baseboard is a massive flaw (also IMO). Using a tripod is a half-baked bit of nonsense.

Still, one can't help but wish them luck with it (already over-subscribed on Kickstarter).
Old 19th March 2021, 10:17 PM
Friend

Default Still not impressed.

In Bob's last post there is a link that shows it in a clearer light but in my view it is still a lash up with limited enlarging capabilities. I still can foresee problems with rigidity and keeping the lamp-house perfectly parallel with the baseboard. The weak link is the way it appears to be attached to the top of the tripod/stand and that does not appear to be robust enough.

Being able to copy with it is a bonus and that is it's possibly best point.
Old 20th March 2021, 01:22 PM
Friend

It's an interesting concept, at a relatively good price, but especially for the early-birders, who got an even better price.

I haven't watched them yet, but there are a few reviewers videos on the site, so they could be interesting to watch.

But would I buy it if I was just starting out? I'm not sure to be honest, but I do think it will appeal to a certain market. The amount of money put towards the project shows that there is a much bigger market than I at least thought there would be and it'll probably get mixed reviews, as did their LF cameras. But as they say, you get what you pay for.

And as Bob says, I wish them luck, as it's great to see such items being designed and made, even if they don't appeal to a lot of us on here, who already have darkroom set ups.

Terry S
Old 21st March 2021, 11:09 AM
Administrator

I think if you pick up a s/h copy stand this makes a small portable enlarger at a good price, especially if you are short of space. Review here from Lina Bessonova.
Old 22nd March 2021, 10:24 AM
Friend

I cannot see why they cannot make a stand for it

Last edited by big paul; 22nd March 2021 at 10:25 AM. Reason: woops
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I cannot see why they cannot make a stand for it
Exactly what I was thinking Paul.

I can imagine that a lot of the buyers will end up buying a small tripod that is suitable for the purpose of using this enlarger, so it wouldn't make a lot of difference price wise, I would have thought, if Intrepid had designed and made a stand to go with the rest of the enlarger kit. If I had been in the market for something like this, this extra item would have definitely swayed my choice of whether to buy one or not. But hey, I could be wrong!?!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies