Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th April 2021, 11:49 AM
Friend

Default Is deposited sulphur okay in a fixer bottle?

Okay, I've asked in a previous post, about how to remove sulphur that has deposited itself in two of my plastic (made to hold chemicals) bottles:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ulphur+bottles

I've tried the numerous ways from suggestions on here and from searching the web, but nothing seems to remove it.

One litre bottle is about half full, with full strength fixer in it, and has a deposit of sulphur, covering the base and about the bottom inch of the bottle.

The second litre bottle is empty and somehow has a deposit of about an inch at the top of the bottle.

Q1. Is it okay to use the fixer left in the one bottle for either film or prints, at their required dilutions?

Q2. Can I use both bottles to decant fresh fixer from a 5 litre container of new fixer into them or will the sulphur cause more sulphur from the new fixer to collect on the sulphur already there?

Q3. Is it worth reinvesting in some new 1 litre glass bottles or do they also have this problem of sulphur deposits over time?

Terry S

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies