Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th January 2019, 05:07 PM
longhouselife

Default Enlarger timer

I was fortunate to be gifted a darkroom setup just before christmas from a former photographer.

All seems good, however the enlarger timer is marginal.

0.1 - 0.9 secs working
1 - 2 secs working, 3 - 4 secs seem too long, 5 - 9 not working
10 - 99 not working.

I have no knowledge of electronics... Any suggestions, advice, help etc welcomed

Old 4th January 2019, 06:36 PM
Friend

Try some switch cleaner.

Ian
Old 4th January 2019, 06:53 PM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Try some switch cleaner.

Ian
Which is what exactly and where am I cleaning..?
Old 4th January 2019, 07:45 PM
Friend

Default Cleaner

What is termed as 'switch cleaner' is usually a highly volatile solvent liquid in a spray can. What I use and do so regularly, is brake and clutch cleaner which is readily available from Halfords. It is pretty well much the same as electrical cleaner used in TV repair workshops, but costs a mere fraction. It will shift dirt like liquid Pickfords, dry is less than a minute and will leave no residue.

It will not harm electrical contacts, insulation or any paintwork, it will just clean them.

It does smell a bit - actually it is quite pungent, but not offensive like bad eggs, but better to use it in a well ventilated area. It is also inflamable!

Last edited by John King; 4th January 2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 4th January 2019, 08:48 PM
Friend

You need to get the cleaner into the guts of the rotary switches. You may need to remove the knobs, then the retaining nuts to get in at them. The knobs may have a grub screw securing them, or simply a push fit/pull off. If you do that, set them all to the minimum, or maximum setting first so that it’s easy to get them back together with the pointers in the correct position. If the switches are fully encased, a spray cleaning product might be best.
Alternatively, pick up another timer from eBay. I was browsing there last night and there are some good bargains in darkroom stuff at the moment.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 5th January 2019, 11:04 AM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnking
What is termed as 'switch cleaner' is usually a highly volatile solvent liquid in a spray can. What I use and do so regularly, is brake and clutch cleaner which is readily available from Halfords. It is pretty well much the same as electrical cleaner used in TV repair workshops, but costs a mere fraction. It will shift dirt like liquid Pickfords, dry is less than a minute and will leave no residue.

It will not harm electrical contacts, insulation or any paintwork, it will just clean them.

It does smell a bit - actually it is quite pungent, but not offensive like bad eggs, but better to use it in a well ventilated area. It is also inflamable!
Many thanks for the info John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
You need to get the cleaner into the guts of the rotary switches. You may need to remove the knobs, then the retaining nuts to get in at them. The knobs may have a grub screw securing them, or simply a push fit/pull off. If you do that, set them all to the minimum, or maximum setting first so that it’s easy to get them back together with the pointers in the correct position. If the switches are fully encased, a spray cleaning product might be best.
Many thanks for the info Alex.

As an aside I would have to drive to Glasgow or Inverness to get even close to a Halfords, but I will ask about in Fort William next time I am off the island...
Old 5th January 2019, 11:08 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhouselife View Post
Which is what exactly and where am I cleaning..?
This is where I miss Maplins, they were great for things like switch cleaner, Come their resurrection . . . . . they are recruiting

As others have said you need to get it into the switch. Usually it's dirty or oxidised contacts. You need to keep rotating the switch while wet with the switch cleaner.

Ian
Old 5th January 2019, 11:12 AM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
This is where I miss Maplins, they were great for things like switch cleaner, Come their resurrection . . . . . they are recruiting

As others have said you need to get it into the switch. Usually it's dirty or oxidised contacts. You need to keep rotating the switch while wet with the switch cleaner.

Ian
Many thanks Ian.
Old 5th January 2019, 11:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhouselife View Post
As an aside I would have to drive to Glasgow or Inverness to get even close to a Halfords, but I will ask about in Fort William next time I am off the island...
Depending on which island you are on....I may be closer than Glasgow or Inverness and can let you have some contact cleaner.

It's possible that the build up of carbon from the tracks of the rotary potentiometers is stopping the current flow to some of the other pots.

Flushing the pots out with cleaner would be the best place to start.

Mike

As an afterthought.....a good petrol station may have spray tins of brake and clutch cleaner.....could save you a long trip.
Old 5th January 2019, 11:33 AM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
Depending on which island you are on....I may be closer than Glasgow or Inverness and can let you have some contact cleaner.

It's possible that the build up of carbon from the tracks of the rotary potentiometers is stopping the current flow to some of the other pots.

Flushing the pots out with cleaner would be the best place to start.

Mike

As an afterthought.....a good petrol station may have spray tins of brake and clutch cleaner.....could save you a long trip.
I'm in Knoydart, so not exactly an island, but as good as...

Tags
darkroom, timer enlarger
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies