Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th February 2019, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Default Lee B&W Filter Compensation

The filter compensation for Lee B&W filters appear to be considerably different to most round glass filters of the same colour. I have just received this information from Lee...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lee - Filter Comp.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	3064  
Old 25th February 2019, 05:04 PM
Friend

They look a bit on the optimistic side to me.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 25th February 2019, 05:30 PM
Friend

These are the values I got from Lee and seemed OK when measured with my Bronica camera SQAi chimney finder ttl meter except for the no. 16 and no 23a were I give them an extra half stop.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Marlow; 25th February 2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 25th February 2019, 09:41 PM
Friend

Well Barry, I'd have tended to agree about the table being optimistic, based on what I think I had read about yellow adding one stop, yellow/green 1 and two thirds stops and red maybe three. However I have just tried my filters and they would seem to agree closely with your table but I need to add two caveats

1. My filters are either Jessops or Hoya and have different numbers which do not give any clue to filter factors or stops

2. I have just tried them in artificial light and am unsure of what effect artificial light has

However it may be that the accepted wisdom of filters having slightly greater or even considerably greater effect on exposure is right and the camera meter is fooled OR it may be that, based on the Lee table we can rely on the quoted stops.

It wasn't clear to me what the real difference is between the two "Deep Yellows" mentioned other than 1/3 of a stop extra required for the 15 compared to the 12. There is even a yellow/orange which I wasn't aware existed.

There seem a bit of "over-kill" in the yellow range I can understand why there is a yellow and deep yellow but not sure if I could look at a scene and decide whether a 15 was more appropriate than the 12 but this is me deviating from the point of your thread

Mike
Old 26th February 2019, 07:28 AM
Friend

I have used Lee 'gel' filters in the past when I bought a lens to which you had to place a filter at the back because the front element protruded forward too far. (Sigma 17/35)

There is a holder already at the back of the lens so the Lee's had to be trimmed to fit. Letting the meter inside the camera do the exposure working out (Nikon F100) there was no problem, but I was aware that some of the exposures were a little shorter than I would have expected and others a little longer, depending on the colour used. Almost all the exposures were spot on.
Old 26th February 2019, 11:59 AM
Friend

Lee Filters are highly respected throughout the world and are used in major feature-film productions as well as local and national television.
Some of those flight cases you see on nature documentaries being loaded into Land Cruisers and canoes contain racks of Lee filters.
Lee's application data is thoroughly proven and cameramen I know stick carefully to Lee's recommendations - both their reputations rely on them.
The recommendations may vary from those offered by other filter manufacturers, perhaps because the absorption characteristics are different.
Old 26th February 2019, 12:58 PM
Friend

Like many I'm sure, I've always presumed (from reading many times over the years) that a yellow filter was +1 stop, orange +2 and red +3, but Lee Filter's red filter is LIGHT red and not a DARK red which my filters are. I have always let each of my cameras which meter, do the TTL metering. For cameras without TTL, I've placed a filter over my hand held exposure meter and took that reading before putting the filter on the lens, in my Bronica SQB for example.

I think that we can presume that each manufacturers filters will vary in density and the table shown in the original post can only really be used for the numbered Lee filters given. My 'accepted exposure values' from reading can now only be taken as a rough average, with so many makes of filters available in differing strengths.

Terry S
Old 26th February 2019, 02:57 PM
Friend

I have found that metering through the filter gave a lower differnce between a no filter reading than that given by the manufacturers "filter factor." When I used to do this my negs tended to be on the under exposed side. I now make sure that when using filters that the exposure is adjusted to the full manufacturers "filter factor" which has resulted in better exposed negs.

Tony
Old 26th February 2019, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Although the 'colour' of say, a Yellow 8 should be the same with all manufacturers perhaps the filter transmission density is lower with the Lee filters?
Old 26th February 2019, 07:38 PM
Friend

There would seem to be a case for a universal standard on filters or at least factors that you can apply to each make of filter to be able to compare "like with like" but this appears to be a forlorn hope.Especially in my case where my filters are Jessops( long since defunct) with their own numbers.

It is probably a major opus to even try to find who made the filters for Jessops and more importantly whether they are the exact equivalent of, say, Hoya even if made by Hoya or were made to a Jessops specification

Often looking on the internet for a definite and correct answer is like Jasper Carrott's joke about getting rid of a mole. He asked 50 people
and everyone told him there was only one way of getting rid of a mole - all of them different

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies