Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st July 2019, 03:05 PM
Friend

Default E6 processing

Hello everyone, I have had a quick look through the colour section so apologizes if this question has been asked before.

Has anyone got any suggestion as to which is a good E6 chemical set to use? I have a number of E6 rolls to develop and thought It maybe time to have a go myself.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 1st July 2019, 04:47 PM
Friend

Hi Mitch.

I'm sure that there are others on here with way more experience than me but for what it's worth, when I tried my hand at E6 I used the Tetenal Kit. This was when you could get the 1 Ltr kit

If I remember rightly it was fairly straightforward, and not knowing anything about the process I just followed the instructions.

Just checked as I thought I had posted a few in an album

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...hp?albumid=391

Not sure if this helps or hinders

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 1st July 2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 1st July 2019, 07:43 PM
Friend

Excellent timing Mitch- I've just tidied the darkroom and find I have 6 rolls of E6 needing processed. Quite tempted to have a go.
Old 2nd July 2019, 07:27 AM
Friend

The best kit available was the old Photocolor Chome 6, while no longer available this was in fact made my Tetenal (at leats in later years).

The 2.5 litre Tetenal kits are probably the best on the market now for home use.

Ian
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:44 AM
Friend

Never tried it myself, but many at my last photo club did.

In fact one evenings meeting was taken up with one of the members loading the slide film into a tank in a changing bag, and then going right through the whole process, with no fancy equipment.

It wasn't the most riveting evening the club has had, but seeing the whole strip of processed slides, whilst still wet, had just about everyone who didn't process their own films, cooing madly.

So all I can really say is, it didn't look anymore complicated than doing a b/w film, and if you've done that, it shouldn't be any harder, so have a go!

Terry S
Old 2nd July 2019, 03:54 PM
Friend

I see one of the sponsors, RK has a discounted price on the Tetenal kit. It does around 30 films. I’m quite tempted to try it as I have some film.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:58 PM
Friend

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but the E6 kit is dependant on very careful processing with virtually no latitude in the time/ temperature. That is unless you are trying to push or pull the image in which case there should be instructions in a Tetenal box with the required times/temps.

They, Tetenal that is, used to print a warning that there may be a chemical 'carry over' if for instance you used one measure for 1st bleach or fix and the next time you used the same measure for the colour developer it may produce unwanted results even if washed out thoroughly.

Personally, I never had a problem, but after reading this information, as a safeguard what I did was to bleach all the measures with an ordinary household bleach overnight which will destroy any remaining chemical residue that even washing will not remove. (About a desert spoon to 250cc of tapwater)

When it all goes right then there absolutely nothing that can compare to a well exposed and processed transparency. Digital images are not even in the running! Have fun!
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
...the E6 kit is dependant on very careful processing with virtually no latitude in the time/ temperature.
I used a Tetenal 2,5L kit with stainless-steel reels in a stainless-steel processing tank. The chemicals and tank were kept in a big (IKEA) trough, with a kettle standing by to top up with hot water to maintain temperature. The electronic thermometer was taped to the kitchen cupboard and the probe dangled in the trough.[/QUOTE]

They, Tetenal that is, used to print a warning that there may be a chemical 'carry over' if for instance you used one measure for 1st bleach or fix and the next time you used the same measure for the colour developer it may produce unwanted results even if washed out thoroughly.

Personally, I never had a problem, but after reading this information, as a safeguard what I did was to bleach all the measures with an ordinary household bleach overnight which will destroy any remaining chemical residue that even washing will not remove. (About a desert spoon to 250cc of tapwater)

When it all goes right then there absolutely nothing that can compare to a well exposed and processed transparency. Digital images are not even in the running! Have fun![/QUOTE]
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:49 AM
Friend

I began slide processing with Ferrania film and the correspoding kit, it was an awful finicky process. Later I switch to E4 films the actual E4 process was too toxic for home use but the E3 process was OK and fully compatible with E4 films.

Both those processes needed extreme temperature and time controls, the 2nd Colour development was critical and varied like the first development for push/pull processing.

E6 is a dream in comparison, there's only really one critical stage - first development, other stages are essentially to completion.

Ian
Old 6th July 2019, 06:40 AM
Friend

I use the Tetenal kits with a Jobo system. When I started though, it was with a big plastic container fitted with some heaters from Nova.(via ebay) A small fishtank pump was added later which helped to circulate the heated water around the container. I tend to do all the E6 developing in a big batch after saving enough film. Going to give C41 a go next.
Cheers
Diz

Tags
colour, e6 processing, kits
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies