Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Overseas

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th January 2010, 10:55 AM
Friend

Default Malta

When we lived in England, Frances and I would keep an eye open for cheap deals (short-dated travel) to Malta. We ended up in some fairly dire tourist hotels on occasion, in gruesome tourist ghettos (St. Julians and Qawra were the worst) but the trick is to hire a car and start exploring: most yourists stay in the ghettos.

I do not know of anywhere on earth that offers more to photograph is such a small compass. There's a whole piece on it here: http://www.semiadventuroustraveler.com/pst%20malta.html

Cheers,

R.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:53 AM
Friend

Wow - wasn't expecting quite so much info - Thanks Roger
Old 19th January 2010, 06:12 PM
Friend

My ex-wife No.2 went to live in Malta as the bloke she went off with is half Maltese so I'm not sure I want to go there !
Old 19th January 2010, 09:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
My ex-wife No.2 went to live in Malta as the bloke she went off with is half Maltese so I'm not sure I want to go there !
How many ex-wives have you got?

Seriously, point taken; but I thnk you might find some great pics if you steer clear of the bad company.

Sod's Law, of course, states that you would run into them both immediately.

Cheers,

R.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:37 PM
Friend

I have a friend with a house somewhere in Malta (rich friend, ex architect) and he said when he and his wife aren't staying there, I would be free to stay there for a while and 'house-keep' for them. Could be a good opportunity.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:45 PM
Friend

Bite both his arms off

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 19th January 2010, 11:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoP View Post
I have a friend with a house somewhere in Malta (rich friend, ex architect) and he said when he and his wife aren't staying there, I would be free to stay there for a while and 'house-keep' for them. Could be a good opportunity.
GO FOR IT!

Cheers,

R.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:43 PM
Friend

We stayed at Mellieha several years ago. We found the flat via the internet. The owner arranged to have us picked up at the airport and met us on arrival. He then arranged a car for the week. He also owned a restaurant in the town from where he insisted on taking us home simply to look after his guests. We never felt a moment's apprehension walking around Mellieha late at night.

You are close to Anchor Bay(take some colour for the Popeye village) and the ferries to Gozo which is well worth a visit. Valetta and Mdina are both must visit places and worth a day each. It's a take your time place.

We liked the food and beer. The wine wasn't at all bad and in the equivalent of the local Spare grocers was reasonably priced.

If you think that Cyprus is great because everyone speaks good English then try Malta where it is probably spoken even better.

There are parallels. We, the British, were woven into both islands but outstayed our welcome, thinking they were ours and yet we are still welcomed.

By late Sept/ early Oct we found the heat pleasant and not in any way oppressive with daylight still into mid evening and actually cooler than Cyprus at that time of year. In fact take a pullover for your outdoor evening meal and walk home.

We felt there was just a danger that the Maltese were allowing too much development but it is easy for tourists like us to want things to stay as they once were without thinking about the need of the Maltese.

It is a small island but you won't do it justice in a week.

Mike
Old 20th January 2010, 05:54 AM
Friend

I was based on Malta for two years, prior to Dom Mintoff throwing us out, and have very fond memories of the island and its warm and friendly people. I have been back a few times and it really does not change that much. Yes, the tourist industry has changed the coastline in places but the old streets and buildings are all still there tucked away from the tourist spots. I have a friend, who is Maltese, on the island and he can take you to places that haven't changed in a hundred years, it really can be stepping back in time.

Useless fact - they also have an "Sound Mirror" the same as the ones at Denge, near Dungeness. Maghtab Sound Mirror.

Last edited by MPerson; 20th January 2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 20th January 2010, 08:39 AM
Friend

Default Malta Buses

The local buses are amazing, all individually hand-built on old lorry chassis. Very cheap indeed last time I was there, and most of them photogenic as well, you don't really need a hire car as they connect all over the island.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies