Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th February 2012, 06:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
I have quite a bit of experience in the retail end (my family are all furniture retailers) and I must admit photographers are a chatty bunch! In saying that I had one man spent a good 2 hours in the shop reading the books and buying nothing (although I think he was offended when I said he couldn't borrow one of the books) and shortly after this another gent came in and bought me out of portra 400, both 35mm and 120, with very little chat!
Old 24th February 2012, 07:32 PM
Friend

Whilst I buy my film on-line, I often buy chemicals in shops in Newcastle (Bonsers or Jacobs) if I've already committed myself to the parking costs for another reason. The postage costs on chemicals usually wipe out any cost saving compared to the shop price.

Now if such a shop actually had free parking outside, that would almost guarantee my business ....
Old 24th February 2012, 07:50 PM
Friend

I worked in photography retail for four years whilst at Uni. (thankfully in the rental department mainly) and that video is spot on. Many times customers would come in with all their gear, try different camera bags out and then go and buy off the internet. Or they'd ask to see a DSLR and have a demo where we were expected to explain how to use the thing, spend two hours with them explaining 'mp's' etc. and then they'd clear off and buy on Amazon.
Or the folks who'd bought from Amazon and then call the shop to ask how to work it....or the ones who would call up and ask a question and then tell you your answer was wrong (when actually you were right) .....am I glad I'm out of that business.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
Oops, I made a mistake with the link...

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7304...o-buy-a-camera

Tony

Last edited by TonyMiller; 24th February 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 14th July 2013, 03:11 AM
Friend

How is the store one year and a half later?
Old 14th July 2013, 04:30 PM
Friend

Good question, Will. I am curious myself as I am sure others will be.

Mike
Old 15th July 2013, 05:17 PM
Friend

Hiya, very late reply!

The shop was doing very well, lots of students and to be honest it was spending at least an hour with each customer before selling them a roll of film that was taking up most of my time. In the end I sold the business to a local arts and crafts store after they made me a very nice offer but they have recently closed down which is a pity.

In place of the film etc I started framing as an addition to the business so I don't have the time or room to open it up again.
Old 1st September 2013, 09:59 AM
Friend

Just to go back to the 'running a shop angle'. I ran a high street photography business for 7 years until the lease ran out and I've heard lots good feedback from the members. Just to add a few of the problems I discovered once trading. I was a "photoline" dealer then, that's the wholesale side of what was Jessops empire and the best price I could 'buy film etc for was what Jessops retailed at. As one other member mentioned, you could spend 30 mins giving advice to sell a roll of film. People used to come into the shop just while away their time. A chap came in one day, when asked if I could help he replied "just took the car for an MOT so thought I would come in for a chat". Now this chatting is all well and could but you need to get paid for your time.

The best profit margins I found were on secondhand camera gear ( not as much demand now), picture framing, and batteries were always a good margin. The biggest hassle was offering the public a D&P service. Low margins and lots, and I mean lots, of time wasted sorting problems out.

How I dealt with customers wanting lots of advice was to put on short evening classes on different aspects of photography - which of course they had to pay to attend at my premises. So if someone asked about metering for example I could say I cover that in week 3 of my evening class if you would like to sign up it's only...

The customer then would sign up or get the message. There is a lot of myth around running your own business but as with lots of things the reality is very different.

Just one last point, probably the best trade organisation I belonged to was the Fine Art Trade Guild, at that time the meetings were very good and lots of useful advice around the framing side.
Old 16th September 2013, 01:15 AM
Friend

A bulletin board for announcements and helping photogs find things they need that you don't sell; fine old film cameras and lenses suited to students. I'd visit the shop myself but it's a bit of a hike from my California desert abode.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies