Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th February 2017, 12:06 PM
Friend

Default What Size Paper

Hi.... bit of a newb here but I've just developed my first 2 BW films.... a roll of Ilford Delta 100 and a roll of Fpan. They are dried and cut and in the neg sleeves now, and looking good to my inexperienced eye. I've developed them both in DDX and just gone along with the 'recommended' times and temps etc. Now I've got to the point where I want to print them. So what do I buy?... Im printing on an LPL6600 with a colour head but I do have Ilford contrast filters. For a first go Im going with Ilford RC pearl but what size do I buy. Is it better to start with the exact size you print with or is it more economical to buy bigger and cut it to the size I want...... It does seem that the bigger paper is more economical but is it a load of hassle cutting it to size?

Thanks in advance
Old 9th February 2017, 01:33 PM
Friend

10" x 8" is the way to go Dave. A 36 exposure 35mm film or a full 120 film, will both fit on a sheet each when the films are cut to lengths.

Larger sizes of paper do work out slightly cheaper but how far up on the size chart do you go before you stop? Most I think you will find buy the sizes that they generally use, with 10" x 8" being one of the most popular all rounders.

Terry S
Old 9th February 2017, 02:28 PM
Friend

I like 91/2 by 12, print everything on that size paper, 10/8 is a;so a good size to start on, I tend to try and print full frame, and so the final print tends to be smaller than the paper, I very rarely print bigger than the 91/2 by 12 as I kind of like the smaller size,
Good luck with your first prints
Richard
Old 9th February 2017, 03:31 PM
Friend

Hello Dave. The answer to your question depends to some extent on what format negatives you are printing. Are they, for example, 35mm, 6x6 or 6x4.5?

Alan
Old 9th February 2017, 03:55 PM
Friend

The negs are 35mm...... Ive never been involved in anything bigger, and to be honest, Im not likely to be..... This is just me digging out my F5 and getting back to film again after a spell with digital. Their is definatly a feel good factor with film, or is it just me geeting old and grey :-)

And thanks to you all for your responses..... Ill start with the 10X8 and get some prints to get me back in the swing of it..... then see where it takes me.....

Last edited by DaveRob; 9th February 2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 9th February 2017, 04:29 PM
Friend

Dave, cutting big sheets of paper down to smaller sizes isn't too difficult if you are handy and have the gear. I do it with a straight edge and Stanley knife. And, yes, I still have all my fingers...
If you want to print on 10 x 8 paper you can buy a box of 100 sheets from Process Supplies for £46. So; 46p per sheet.
But if you buy a box of 50 sheets of 16 x 20, for £81, you can cut it into 10 x 8 sheets which will only cost you 41p per sheet. You may decide that saving 5p per sheet isn't worth the hassle, especially as you will have to lay out more money to start with.
Next size up is 9.5" x 12". As you ideally want a ratio of 8 x 12 to conform to the proportion of your 35mm negative, you waste a bit of paper with 9.5 x 12. you end up with a deep bottom border. If you buy 50 sheets it works out at 65p per sheet.
But Ilford do Mgd. RC Pearl in A4 size - near enough 8" x 12". This works out at 57 pence per sheet, 8 pence cheaper than 9.5 x 12. But you can cut 1.5" off the bottom of 9.5 x 12 to use as a test strip. Is this worth the extra 8 pence? Only you can decide.
To confuse you further, you can buy 16 x 12 paper and cut it in half, to get 8 x 12 sheets. This works out even cheaper, at 53 pence per sheet, but you have to buy a box of 50 to get this saving. At 12 pence per sheet cheaper than 9.5 x 12, I think this is a good option.
And you can do the odd bigger print if the mood takes you.

Alan
Old 9th February 2017, 04:34 PM
Friend

Hi, there. As others said I'd go with 8x10, it's a convenient size, in my opinion, nor too small neither too big. I'd also get a small pack of 9.5x12 for contact sheets.

Cheers, M.-
Old 9th February 2017, 04:51 PM
Friend

I went for the 8X10 sheets as Imaging warehouse had an offer on Ilford Multigrade pearl 25+5 sheets at £13:95 a box.... Many thanks for all your input, Ill update with results after Ive printed something up :-)
Old 9th February 2017, 06:37 PM
Friend

That's a good idea to get started, then you can decide if that size suits you.
You'll see when you compare prices that larger quantities can be considerably cheaper per sheet, but there's no point in buying 100 until you know that you prefer a particular size.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th February 2017, 06:29 AM
Friend

I agree that 8x10" is a very nice size to start with. This is already large enough to enjoy the print (my opinion, others may differ) and it is definitely large enough to judge the sharpness. On the other hand, 8x10" paper is still very economical and it won´t hurt your wallet if you mess a few prints, which will happen ;-)
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies