Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th July 2009, 11:49 AM
Friend

Default Hi from South Africa

Good day...

I'm currently living just north of Cape Town and i'm just an amateur in monochrome. Ive recently got a darkroom set up, thanks to a relatives friend for selling me his old enlarger, from the 40's if i'm not mistaken . But it works great for now. I use 35mm, but really wanna get into a larger format one day. I hope to learn more from this site and improve my photography. You can never know to much.

Problem is here every one has gone digital, so there aren't many places who are willing help with stock chemicals, paper and film, but those who do are very willing to help and keep the art going.

Keep it alive...
Shane D
Old 10th July 2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Welcome aboard Shane. Glad you can still find some real photography supplies in a sea of digital!

Have fun, Bob.
Old 10th July 2009, 02:05 PM
Friend

Hello Shane and welcome to Fadu, very much a stronghold of tradiontal photography,hope you enjoy your visits to the forum, and I'm sure that if you have questions or need help then you'll find it here,Richard
Old 10th July 2009, 03:53 PM
Friend

Welcome Shane and I hope your enjoyment of film and darkroom never subsides.

There are plenty of like mined folk here to help out if need be.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 10th July 2009, 04:07 PM
Friend

Hi Shane and welcome to FADU...
Old 10th July 2009, 04:42 PM
Friend

Welcome Shane

Don't be in too much of a hurry to move away from 35mm, it really depends on what your subject matter is. In fact even for high quality landscape work there is much to recommend a 35mm camera, good tripod, roll of Delta 100 and a staining developer like Peter Hogan's Prescysol.
The resulting negative will look stunning especially if you limit the enlargement size to say 10X14 on 12 X 16 paper.

Benefits - cost, weight, versitility, cracking quality if careful

As for suppliers - the internet is the place to hunt for supplies, all the UK high street shops have just about given up on anything that isnt digital, with a few notable exceptions.

I look forward to seeing your first results

All the best

Andrew
Old 10th July 2009, 05:04 PM
Friend

Hi and Welcome.

If you want to go to a larger format one day great, but 35mm is a great way to learn whilst keeping your costs down, and it is still the preference of most documentary photographers.

Neil
Old 10th July 2009, 05:11 PM
Friend

Hi Shane and welcome to FADU. It is all here so come back often and ask away as that's the best way to progress. 35mm is a good bet until you feel ready to try something else and it will help you keep your costs down. I still use 35m a lot even after 45 years!

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 10th July 2009, 07:58 PM
Friend

Hi Shane,

Welcome to FADU. You live in a very photogenic part of the world! I lived in CT for 5 years (many years ago) and it was seeing quality of the light there which really got me started in photograhy.

Mark
Old 10th July 2009, 08:10 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome. Just a guess on my part but I suspect that all is not lost. It is possible to both develop film and prints from Ilford powder chems if transport of liquids become difficult. Powder can be bought in large quantities with relatively little bulk and will keep forever until mixed into liquids.

The great thing is that the wildlife near Boulder Beach and wandering about in gardens, on roads etc is all B&W :

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies