Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th June 2013, 07:46 PM
Friend

Default Anyone from South Wales, UK?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there is from my neck of the woods? If so can you recommend a good place to buy darkroom supplies (chemicals, etc). I bought somethings from Firstcall online, but I am looking for somewhere a little closer to home, £7.99 delivery charge from Firstcall is a bit expensive, especially if I only want to order some developer.

Cheers FADU community.

Jes.
Old 28th June 2013, 09:48 PM
Friend

Hi Jes. Welcome to the non-stop party at FADU.
Once upon a time you could walk down the high street, just walk into a shop and buy film, paper, and chemicals!!
As they say, that was then but this is now

You will have to buy your stuff mail order-
either the sponsors top of this page (Silverprint, Ag, et al) or morco.uk.com
The trick is to plan ahead and buy everything you need at one go- it saves or avoids post charges.
What format you shootin?
What film do you like?

Last edited by skellum; 28th June 2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: gave Jes too many ss's
Old 29th June 2013, 07:02 AM
Friend

You will have to get your supplies mail order these days,I'm afraid, Try ag photographic, for small lightweight orders such as film they do a lower price for delivery, or try and order a large amount, over £100 from Silverprint is carriage free, and believe me it is very easy to spend £100, some paper,fixer paper and film developer and films and it soon adds up,and if the order is less then I think Silverprint is cheaper on postage.
Richard
Old 29th June 2013, 07:20 AM
Friend

Hi Jes,

Regretfully I pretty much have to agree with what Skellum and Richard have said.

This is one of the reasons that I have moved over to the 1ltr D76 as it is a powder with a great shelf life ( so I can store it ), and cheap, so buying say 10 does not completely break the bank. I also understand works on pretty much every film that is out there.

As has already been said, with almost no effort at all it is possible to get up to the free delivery limit.

Best of luck in your search and I really hope that you are lucky enough to find a local supplier.

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 29th June 2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: alterations
Old 29th June 2013, 08:28 AM
Friend

Cheers guys.... Mail order it is then! And I know how easy it is to spend lots of money on these sites, my wish list for Firstcall is ridiculous!

Skellum, I am used to shooting 35mm but recently inherited my grandfathers 1st camera (Agfa Isolette) and after a good clean it is ready to go, this is where my new found love of 120 has developed leading me to purchase x3 TLR cameras, oops.
I also have my eye on a Diana Mini, they look fun & great excuse to always have a camera with me (that is not big & heavy).
Film wise(35mm), I always used Ilford, but got some Kentmere recently to see what its like. Haven't developed any yet.

Old 29th June 2013, 08:42 AM
Friend

Oh Dear, looks like somebody has already got the dreaded photography bug You do realise that there is no known cure.

Welcome to the club

Ian
Old 29th June 2013, 11:06 AM
Friend

I've had it for a few years, but now I have more free time on my hands, it's kinda stepped up a gear, lol
Always wanted my own darkroom since Uni, but never got round to building one, now my little girl is in school I have the time.

:P
Old 29th June 2013, 11:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
Oh Dear, looks like somebody has already got the dreaded photography bug You do realise that there is no known cure.
(Just don't mention Large Format and the fun you can have with real big cameras)
Old 29th June 2013, 12:44 PM
Friend

Hi Jes. If you've been using 35mm cameras using a TLR will seem odd to start with. Waist level viewing is actually quite pleasant- it's almost as if you're viewing an image on a light box. However, the right-to-left reversal makes it hard to follow moving subjects until you get tuned in to it.
The bigger negative means you can comfortably shoot faster films without grain being an issue. I like HP5 for hand held shooting. If you want to stick your TLR on a tripod and shoot PanF you won't believe how smooth and sharp medium format can be.
Old 29th June 2013, 01:35 PM
Friend

PanF + TLR = Gorgeous

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies