Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th December 2017, 03:55 PM
Friend

Default Developing old TMY

Found a roll of Kodak TMAX 400 Professional -TMY that I must have exposed 25 -30 years ago
So I will stand /semi stand in Rodinal
But I need to decide dilution and time ... is the iso effectively reduced? will the contrast need pushing
Any pointers thoughts and experience gratefully received

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 17th December 2017, 04:21 PM
Friend

Personally I would do semi stand at 1/100 for 60 minutes, agitate for 60 seconds at the start then again at 30 seconds, that way you should stand at least a chance of getting some images, I have developed various films including very old Verichrome pan using the above method,also some HP3 and 4, but never Tmax, but there isno reason that it should not work, good luck and let us know what happens
Richard
Old 17th December 2017, 05:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Personally I would do semi stand at 1/100 for 60 minutes, agitate for 60 seconds at the start then again at 30 seconds, that way you should stand at least a chance of getting some images, I have developed various films including very old Verichrome pan using the above method,also some HP3 and 4, but never Tmax, but there isno reason that it should not work, good luck and let us know what happens
Richard
That was what I was thinking
I usually use 3 ml of dev but was wondering if to push a stop or two ... 4 in 400 ml or 5 in 500 ml

Old 17th December 2017, 07:41 PM
Friend

It won't make much if any difference, stick to 1 in 100, that is 5ml in 500 ml, I prefer to use the 500 ml as I develop more 120 than 35mm, and I find it easier to mix the ratio for 120 for everything, makes it easier on the memory when you start getting older, but it is still 1/100 ratio whichever amount you use,
Richard
Old 17th December 2017, 08:21 PM
Friend

I have no evidence for this except what I have read but I think that given it is old film, it may be sensible to use at least 5mls. 3 mls may be too little for optimum effect.

You can check this out on a site called Unblinking Eye where there are a number of articles on Rodinal and I think a discussion/ statement on what is the minimum amount of Rodinal to use. Not a problem at 1:25 or 1:50 but at 1:100 with a 35mm tank the amount of Rodinal may be below the minimum safe amount. In my Jobo 35mm tank for instance it works out at 2.5mls only

Mike
Old 19th December 2017, 04:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimbo View Post
Found a roll of Kodak TMAX 400 Professional -TMY that I must have exposed 25 -30 years ago
So I will stand /semi stand in Rodinal
But I need to decide dilution and time ... is the iso effectively reduced? will the contrast need pushing
Any pointers thoughts and experience gratefully received

I would over-develop by at least 50%.

I had exposed some T-Max 100 (TMY2) that I found and when I developed then, they were only the faintest images.

It is my own fault, the sheets of film were hiding in plain sight. I just managed to never quite get round to developing them (24+ months)

However, I assume from my results the stability of the latent image on T-Max is not great.

Old technology films (i.e. not the tabular grain structures of T-Max, Delta and Acros) seem to have much better latent image stability than the new technology films.

I searched the Kodak web site and asked both here and APUG and no one had any data on latent image stability of T-Max.

All the film manufacturers say on the subject is "for best results develop the films soon after exposure"

Good luck

Martin
Old 19th December 2017, 04:44 PM
Friend

Well. Developed today 5 ml Rodinal in 500 ml 65 mins and .... just about has an image, nothing sensibly recoverable in fact the base looks fogged
So on the sample of 2 it appears old TMY needs very aggressive development

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies