Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th July 2014, 08:49 AM
Friend

Default Minolta Dynax7 / Minolta Users

As some of you may know my brand of choice for 35mm cameras is Minolta. I love this not so popular breed of cameras, I ready own five ( 3x MF and 2 x AF ), but reckon I can find room for 1 more.

I have seen a Dynax7 which is getting towards the last 35mm camera they made (as it was only released round about 2000 it probably qualifies it as new) that I quite like the look of.

Anybody out there ever used one, anyone got any knowledge of this camera ?

I know that gsingh is a Minolta user, but are there any other Minolta users out there ?

Ian
Old 5th July 2014, 02:24 PM
Friend

I, too, am a Minolta fan. I got a Maxxum (Dynax in the USA) 650i several years ago. I accumulated 5 lenses for it (3 primes). When it was time to buy a digital slr, I got a big, full frame Sony so that the lenses were compatible.

When contemplating a photographic safari last year, I bought a Maxxum 7, which is the same camera you are contemplating. Yes, it was the last film body they released, and it is a marvel. It does more things than I will ever use; but what I do require, it does very, very well. I never cease to be amazed at the efficiency of the automated exposure system.

And at the prices they command, they are a bargain!
Old 6th July 2014, 08:31 PM
Friend

Guess that's just us then ! Wonder why ?

My first camera was a Minolta, (I still have it and use it) liked it and never saw the need to change maufacturer. Maybe it is the same for others who knows? Guess there is one way to find out.

I can feel a new thread coming on
Old 14th July 2014, 08:41 AM
New User

I'm a Minolta fan as well. I don't have the 7 but would like to. I have 2 AF bodies & 7 MF bodies. Various lenses as well. I retired my 2 ancient Exakta's and bought 2 X-700's in 1984 for a European trip and liked the brand so I bought more.
Old 14th July 2014, 03:02 PM
Friend

A few years ago I used Minolta Dynax, I started with a 7000i, the one that used the Expansion cards, then a 700i, loved them, and used them a lot, then I started to get keen on MF and traded them in
against a Bronica outfit, which I still have but use very little as I found the joys of using classic and vintage gear, which is where I am at currently,
Richard
Old 14th July 2014, 06:49 PM
Friend

I liked the look of the older manual focus bodies like the SRT series, and also the X300 and 700, and often considered buying one. The compacts like the HiMatic also looked good. I never got round to buying any, however, although I could still be tempted. I never really liked the appearance of the AF cameras and their lenses, so wouldn't have considered them, although I recall them being given excellent reviews when they were launched.
Old 14th July 2014, 06:56 PM
Friend

I meant to finish that last post, but pressed send by accident!
It's funny how the appearance of something utilitarian like a camera can affect your decision to buy, or not. I once owned a Contax 159MM with its 50mm f1.7 lens. It had various issues, and I was never that happy with my results with it, but it was a fine looking camera. I even looked some up on eBay recently just to remind myself how it looked. I was still impressed, but don't think it will be getting another one.
Old 15th July 2014, 06:31 PM
Friend

Hi Alex,

The X-300 gets the thumbs up from me, so much so that I now own three!

The X-300 my first proper camera (way back when), it was the most I could affford then, but as it has turned out it was the right choice for me.

Looking at the reply Wade D left the Minolta bug seems just as infectious as many others that are out there.

Nice to know that I'm not alone in Minolta Land.

Ian
Old 15th July 2014, 07:25 PM
Friend

Thing is that going back Rokkor lenses were some of the best on the market before others caught up.
And yes X-300 was/is a fine camera. Simple with no frills. Just worked for me when I had one.
Old 15th July 2014, 08:05 PM
Friend

A young partner in a firm I worked for in the late '80s had the X-300. He produced some pretty good sports/action shots with it. I had a Nikon F at the time which I'm sure he had a laugh at. I loved it, although I could see the attraction of his altogether more modern Minolta. I have used the Rokkor enlarger lenses which are excellent, and two of my Leica-badged compacts are, I believe, Minolta designs.
Alex
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies