Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd April 2020, 02:12 AM
Friend

Default Hasselblad A12 back info/help

Hi folks
I bought a A12 filmback to go on my hasselblad 500cm, just to try the back out; i wound the winder without film till the frame got to number 1 and stopped, put the back on the 500cm that was cocked and pressed the shutter, the problem was i could not wind the camera on as it was now locked, i took the A12 off and cocked the shutter
As i said this was without film in the back
My question is, has the A12 back got some sort of interock that will allow you to wind the back to frame 1 but after pressing the shutter wont let you advance to frame 2 and cock the shutter without film inside
Could any Blad owners verify this, can you fire the shutter all the way from 1 to 12 without film in the back
I have taken an old reel of film out the freezer so will try tomorrow when it is thawed out
Thanks in advance
Paddy
Old 23rd April 2020, 11:20 AM
Friend

remove back from camera open the film back take out the insert then put it back ,and then wind the little handle till it gets to number one, make sure the camera is wound on replace back on to camera ,remove dark slide and it should fire and the frame counter should clock up every time you fire the shutter and wind on ..hope that helps....
Old 23rd April 2020, 12:30 PM
Friend

Hi Paul
Is that without film too
Old 23rd April 2020, 12:49 PM
Friend

In general, most cameras exposure counters won't tick over without a film in the camera. In varying ways the film makes the camera mechanism click over to the next number.

I will be intrigued to hear if this is different in a Hassie, as I don't own one to check.

Terry S
Old 23rd April 2020, 01:45 PM
Friend

Medium format mechanisms may be different, but mechanical counters on 35mm cameras tend to work without film. The back door presses in a little tab that engages the counter. Opening the back allows the tab to spring out, resetting the counter to empty. I think Rollei, and other similar TLRs do likewise. Bronica backs don’t count up when empty.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 23rd April 2020, 02:32 PM
Friend

yes that's with and without film in .take the back off the camera and press the shutter and then wind on ,on the back right hand side of the camera body you should see a gear turn as you wind on ,is that happening with your camera
Old 23rd April 2020, 03:25 PM
Friend

Without film the winder on the back was stiff while winding to frame 1
I put a reel of film in to waste, it gets to 1 then i press the shutter and when I wind the winder on the 500cm it stops between 1 and 2 and then jams, I have sent the A12 back to the shop I bought it from
It was a 1979 back with a 1971 inner, I have ordered another from a different shop, a matched one from 1985
How loose should the winder be when winding without film in it, the one I sent back was pretty stiff cranking the winder
Old 23rd April 2020, 03:27 PM
Friend

What I mean is, how freely should the winder turn on the a12 back with or without film from 0 to 1
Old 23rd April 2020, 04:49 PM
Friend

sounds like the film back is buggerd when winding the back without film in it ,it turns easy with the clicking noise from the cogs ,when there is film in its a bit more tension because you are pulling the film through.... . both my film backs numbers don't match so that should not be a problem or a deal breaker ,as I have no trouble with mine .I must say when using my Hasselblad's it always gives me a buzz ,it maybe the quality ,or all the history ,and the fact that all the top photographers have used them and still do , but there is something special about Hasselblad's.. good luck
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:57 PM
Friend

Sounds like the A12 back needs a good service, surprised the shop let it go in that condition, there was no way I was keeping it
It was like the cog on the back of the 500cm slipped and jammed because the cog on the a12 was a bit stiff
Let’s hope the next one works ok or that will be going back
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies