Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th November 2015, 06:43 AM
Friend

I shouldn't say much, since I just processed my first batch of E-6 slide film (two 4x5 sheets plus one 5x7 sheet)
The recently expired, and stored properly Velvia 50 looks beautiful, whereas the expired in 1984, and not stored properly Ektachrome looks awful.
I just followed the directions to the second, and maintained the temperature.

However I do have a fair amount of experience with B&W film, plus a Paterson Colortherm Processor, which maintained the perfect temperature making it easier.
Old 6th November 2015, 10:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndnlfartist View Post
I shouldn't say much, since I just processed my first batch of E-6 slide film (two 4x5 sheets plus one 5x7 sheet)

The recently expired, and stored properly Velvia 50 looks beautiful, whereas the expired in 1984, and not stored properly Ektachrome looks awful.

I just followed the directions to the second, and maintained the temperature.

However I do have a fair amount of experience with B&W film, plus a Paterson Colortherm Processor, which maintained the perfect temperature making it easier.

Do you use the print tubes with the Colortherm? If so, did you have to modify them in any way for use with film?
Thanks,
Alex
Old 6th November 2015, 03:57 PM
Friend

I would have used them this time except the motor bases belt is slipping so I just used a Paterson daylight tank.

However I have used the print tubes and motor base in the past with excellent results non modified.

I'll see if I can set up a light table and photograph this slide today with my digital.
If I can I'll post the image here.
Old 6th November 2015, 07:17 PM
Friend

Old 7th November 2015, 10:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndnlfartist View Post
I would have used them this time except the motor bases belt is slipping so I just used a Paterson daylight tank.

However I have used the print tubes and motor base in the past with excellent results non modified.

I'll see if I can set up a light table and photograph this slide today with my digital.
If I can I'll post the image here.

I take it you just used the Colourtherm as a tempering bath to maintain the correct temperature throughout the process. It would be good for that. When you mention a Paterson daylight tank, can you let me know how you secured the three sheets in that. I'm interested because I've recently started large format work and am keen to learn about different methods of processing film. Was it one of the tanks that normally holds spirals, or some other type? Thanks again,
Alex.
Old 7th November 2015, 09:33 PM
Friend

Your right, I just use the colourtherm to maintain the temperature. It is really too small for my needs, so i will be building my own version soon.

As for the Paterson daylight tank. I only hold 2 4x5 sheets, however I don't use anything extra.
You can use the Taco method, which is bend the sheets around until the edges almost touch with the emulsion on the inside and wrap an elastic around.This will easily allow you to develop 4 sheets inside a Paterson tank at once. However I tried it once, and the emulsions was cracked on all 4 sheets when I was done, so I started just flexing two sheets just enough to fit within my tank like in this cheap cell phone photo.

I've used this technique for 4x5 for the last 4 years without any problems.

For 5x7 I use the same technique, but only one sheet at a time.
Old 8th November 2015, 11:15 AM
Friend

Thanks for explaining that. I've never seen this method before. I will give it a try.
Alex.
Old 8th November 2015, 01:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I use my local Snappy snaps for colour prints. I do not make easy for them as most of my colour stock is a decade out of best before date and yet they manage to get the colour saturation right ever time.
Having just finished a photography degree, I was quite surprised to hear that fellow students had both b/w and colour, film (35mm and mf) and digital files all processed at a local branch of Snappy Snaps in the town centre.

It could of course be just that branch but I was quite impressed with the prints that I was shown.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies