Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th June 2015, 09:31 PM
Friend

I do not approve of how some photographers manipulate the digitized representation of a scene which sometimes is so far from reality, and what some extensions to Photoshop do to portraits. What we see in photography magazines nowadays are deplorable. It is fake; comparable to what some artists do in the music industry with Autotune. That's why I like film. Film photography is such that the light captured at the moment the photo was taken is represented in the silver clumps in the negative. Compared to digital, film is honest. That is my opinion.
Old 18th June 2015, 04:53 AM
Friend

Default Realism

Norm's Quote (Do you think that people "believe" photographs nowadays? Can the general public perceive the difference between a photograph that is a close representation of what the photographer saw or in this digital age do people think that all photographs have been extensively manipulated?)

Thats a good question Norm last year I went to see a local exhibition of mono prints of industrial landscapes all the prints were digital and manipulated with toning but what disappointed me the most was that they were all obviously HDR photographs, I wouldn't have minded if they had been described as such but they were presented as industrial landscapes and most people would not have known any different and accepted them as real. My conclusion is that most people don't think of the process they just see the end result and either like it or not.
Richard
Old 18th June 2015, 07:12 AM
Friend

My conclusion is that most people don't think of the process they just see the end result and either like it or not.
Richard[/QUOTE]

I agree.
Old 10th January 2016, 05:20 PM
Friend

I dunno, a lot of people (non photographers) I speak to seem to accept the idea that photos these days are not representative of reality.
Show them a beautiful landscape picture, film or digital and they will say its beautiful but kind of tag on a caveat in the same sentence, "its beautiful but it has been manipulated", which to me seems to devalue it some what.
It used to be that a photo had credibility, an integrity, some measure of truth, an expectation that for the most part, what the viewer is looking at is pretty close to actuality, subject to individual interpretation of course.
Such is the proliferation of manipulated imagery these days, I think its kinda sad that photography has lost that credibility.
The counter argument to that is that photography has always been manipulated, but I think the difference is that for 100 years it was the exception rather than the rule.
These days its the other way round, everything is manipulated to hell and back and nobody bats an eyelid.
Part of why I like shooting and printing film is because its difficult to alter or at least I don't have the skill to significantly alter it and thus it has a modicum of honesty you don't find in a digital file anymore...
Old 10th January 2016, 05:45 PM
Friend

norm I make you right ,sometimes you can muck about with something to much you can change the tones crop the image but I feel in general film is honest and the print will be honest .also I agree with you about digital a friend of mine changes everything he will even put a deferent sky add seagulls ,change the colour of the water .I want to see what the photographer saw when he hit the shutter ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 10th January 2016, 07:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
norm I make you right ,sometimes you can muck about with something to much you can change the tones crop the image but I feel in general film is honest and the print will be honest .also I agree with you about digital a friend of mine changes everything he will even put a deferent sky add seagulls ,change the colour of the water .I want to see what the photographer saw when he hit the shutter ..

www.essexcockney.com
That is why I use film I try to the best of my ability to record what is in front of me. I don't want to invent an image that I have not seen.
Old 11th January 2016, 05:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
That is why I use film I try to the best of my ability to record what is in front of me. I don't want to invent an image that I have not seen.
I'm with you there Norm
Richard
Old 11th January 2016, 08:10 AM
Friend

Default B&W Printing

I feel you never stop learning with B&W printing. Never mind dodging and burning getting to grips with multigrade printing is a test for most of us. When do we increase/decrease the grade and by how much. It all involves extra test strips.

If one never prints above 10x8 then probably you will find multiple grade printing almost impossible because of the small areas that have to be adjusted. Except possibly sky areas, with lots of fluffy clouds. It can though transform larger prints with loads of detail that would othrwise be hidden.

This is probably one of the reasons I find RA4 printing a bit of a breeze, with the wider lattitude of C41 negs the printing is normally just a case of getting the colour balance/exposure right and the materials will do the rest.
Old 13th January 2016, 05:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post

www.essexcockney.com
That sounds much closer to creating art from imagination rather than a raw image file - digital painting. Winsor & Newton => Adobe!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies