Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th February 2016, 08:35 AM
Friend

Default New colour neg in 120 and 5x4 - "CineStill"

I thought some folks might be interested in this. It seems that a company has been making available converted Kodak cine film available in 35mm for a while (converted so it is normal C41 process) and are now crowdfunding the ability to offer it in 120 and 5x4". Apparently the goal for 120 is already met, and with another 75-ish (at the time of writing) backers for 5x4" then the'll be over the threshold for that too.

I'm not much of a colour neg man but I'll put in for a box to support any film related enterprise, especially if it stimulates demand and makes it more likely that key players like Kodak keep making film.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...-film#/updates

Hopefully this is of interest to some folk on here.
Old 25th February 2016, 12:55 PM
Friend

Not 100% sure but think this is the same stuff used to film Tarantino's Django Unchained. Really nicely saturated blues and yellows, Tungsten balanced. It makes all the firelight and lamplits snowy nighttime scenes look great. People on APUG are moaning cos it's an ECN process film and C41 isn't quite right for it, but if you are going for a particular look I think it's great, kind of like Velvia on acid.
Old 25th February 2016, 10:01 PM
Friend

Default Cinestill film

I've been using the 35mm 50ASA daylight version of this film for the past year, nothing weird about the colour despite having it processed as C41. It has quite low contrast, being designed for scanning, and has very wide dynamic range, tolerating considerable overexposure. I can't post any examples due to forum rules, but if anyone wants to go to my profile page there is a link to my Flickr account where all recent pics are taken on that film.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies