Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th February 2017, 08:05 PM
Friend

Default I've broken the ice

Well, cleaning up the utility room had reached the point where I had enough room round the enlarger for the developing trays. During cleaning up, I had also discovered an unopened 250 ml bottle of Agfa Neutol that must date back to the last century plus an assortment of equally vintage Ilford, Tetenal, Forte and Argenti printing papers.Having a stop bath and fixer from negative development, I did what any of you would have done; I had a go at printing a negative.
First a test strip - about 24 seconds at f8 (got a refresher course in how the Viponel timer works), and then an 18x24 cms cropped print of the negative duly appeared.
It won't win any prizes (taken down a long shaded street to a sunlit mountain village overlooking the town and I'm not yet up to burning and dodging), but the surprise was that the Ilfospeed and Neutol were still capable of producing an image.
Old 5th February 2017, 08:39 PM
Friend

Good news. It might be worth checking each pack of paper for age-fog. I had never heard of Argenti until I saw it in your post. Who made it and how old might it be?

Thanks

Mike
Old 5th February 2017, 08:57 PM
Friend

Sorry, its Argenta, made in Munich, Germany. I think it must have been out of date when I got it judging from the exceedingly long developing times. It had novelty value, though, having a metallic finish. https://www.macodirect.de/en/sale/vi...x9-5-10-sheets
Old 5th February 2017, 09:55 PM
Friend

Thanks for the reply, Martin. That Argenta is quite a find. I cannot think of any other metallic finish paper on the current market. If it isn't age-fogged then the long dev times will be worth it for the benefit of the unique finish.

Mike
Old 5th February 2017, 10:07 PM
Friend

I noticed that the web site didn't have Argenta in a metallic finish, but did have some from a different manufacturer https://www.macodirect.de/en/sale/vintage-paper-sale/ I used it to make a high contrast shot of an electricity pylon once I seem to remember when I had some old lith film to make an internagative.

Last edited by Martin Rick; 5th February 2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 6th February 2017, 10:31 AM
Friend

Wow great find, would love to see a metallic finish paper on the market.
Old 9th February 2017, 09:38 AM
Friend

I dug out an old print with metallic silver finish and scanned it. Something my scanner won't do is reproduce the metallic finish - it comes out grey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pilon.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	2675  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies