Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th March 2017, 10:23 PM
Friend

Default Interesting kickstarter

I came across the this rather interesting looking kickstarter project the other day, do it anywhere film developing system for 35mm and 120/220.
http://kck.st/2l4p48j
Might be of use to some people here.
Old 9th March 2017, 08:34 AM
Friend

Default Not so sure

I have seen something like this or very similar on other forums and appears to be a development (no pun intended) of the original Agfa Rodinax daylight loading and development tank from way back in the 60's-70's.

A good idea but the advertising blurb does not go far enough to even get close to convincing me it may take off. I can understand how they load 35mm film but the 120? Unless they intend to wind on the paper backing at the same time as the film, they will need some sort of changing bag. The backing paper will have some sort of dye from the printing and no doubt chemicals from the paper making process. Will this contaminate the film, giving odd marks that will give birth to countless forum topics on 'What went wrong'? They make it sound all too simple, there is no mention of getting the chemicals up to temp and that you will have to still have a supply of water to hand.

In essence a reasonable idea, but one that was tried before with not very outstanding results. I saw films (35mm) which had been processed in the Rodinax tank and to be blunt they didn't impress. Streaks, uneven develeloment were all too obvious, so I will refrain from contributing.

Last edited by John King; 9th March 2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 9th March 2017, 11:51 AM
Friend

There has been quite long thread on this on APUG. My questions were much the same as John King's initially as the initial info about it was poor but since then there is a video demonstration which covers 120 as well.

It looks to have been well thought out and yes, one tank covers both 35 and 120. If (a) you had no darkroom or changing bag and (b) you wanted to develop film while away from home and were prepared to carry a bit of dev and fix then this tank looks as if it would do the job.

The demand for it appears to be healthy enough such that the kickstarters have been able to scale back their offer to the later subscribers of how many tanks the different subscription rates gets you

Mike
Old 10th March 2017, 11:33 AM
Friend

I think it is a great idea and would like to try one out for myself.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 11th March 2017, 08:11 AM
Friend

What a good idea
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies