Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd May 2015, 02:11 PM
Friend

Default Interesting website

http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_en/...eras/iiig.html

I came accross this website when looking for medium format. There are a lot of interesting items for sale, but I think they are on a different planet when it comes to prices. It is based in Vienna. and even allowing the for exchange rate difference they are asking some silly prices - E.G Nearly £200 for Fed 2!!!
Old 3rd May 2015, 02:38 PM
Friend

Hi John, I have got several Leica items from them in recent years. They might be expensive for some non Leica items but their customer service is great.
Old 3rd May 2015, 02:43 PM
Friend

before accusing a foreign shop of over pricing you should check and validate the relative difference between the cost of living in the two countries you are comparing. Some countries prices across the board for all goods appear more expensive than in the UK. But when you look at what the salaries are in those countries and what the products cost as percentage of their income in those countries, the prices are often similar or cheaper than in the UK. Not always the case but is sometimes. My observation is that prices in Italy and Austria are nearly always more than in the UK (from a UK perspective).

They would say that the English expect something for nothing.

Then if you look at what we pay for US goods you will find that most of the time we pay pounds for dollars. People except that because things tend to cost less in the US but even though we are being ripped off it doesn't seem like it because that's what we expect to pay in the UK.
Old 3rd May 2015, 03:58 PM
Friend

They are a bit like Harrods in the way they sell, yes they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

I can think of UK sellers who I think are worse, stores and internet sellers.

Ian
Old 3rd May 2015, 04:12 PM
Friend

how long do you think it would take to get arrested if you used one of these to photograph someone famous such as William and Kate?

http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?id=3&L=1

I rekon the ant-terrorist squad would probably take you out first and ask questions later.
Old 3rd May 2015, 04:49 PM
Friend

Clicking on your link takes me to the Westlicht auction front page but I can see no way to get to the camera to which I think you refer. Given your reference to the anti-terrorist squad I assume the camera is the famous photo-sniper?

Thanks

Mike
Old 3rd May 2015, 04:52 PM
Friend

Disclaimer

The link I posted at the top of the thread takes me straght to the Lieca Shop in Vienna. Where the other link comes from has no connection to me what so ever!

But to answer the relative cost of living in other countries, in this case Austria, I know Austria very well and will be there again in about 5 weeks time. The cost of living is about on par with UK when averaged out, but asking nearly £200 for a Fed 2 unless it is one of a significant collectors interest, is well over the top.

Even £50 is a bit much.

Have you tried typing in the URL instead of the link?

Last edited by John King; 3rd May 2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 3rd May 2015, 05:21 PM
Friend

Where do you see that £200 Fed
Old 3rd May 2015, 06:08 PM
Friend

Default Fed

Open the link, then on the left hand side of the page are makes/types of cameras. SCroll down then click on 'Russian Equipment' and there are 2 Fed2 models near the top. I got the price wrong in posts. 1 is priced at 340 Euro and the 2nd is 99 Euro.

The exchange rate at present is 1.35 to the £1 which makes the 1st one £251 and the other £73. Yes the 1st one is a 'little' different but it is a Fed 2 no more no less and even the second is way over the top.

Even further down there are Kiev 4 models way over what I would pay for a Contax never mind a Kiev.

If they are to 'Collectors' models they need to be in perfeck nick, not these faulty donkeys
Old 3rd May 2015, 06:16 PM
Friend

The Westlicht link may not work but click on camera auctions, then scroll down, I assume Argentum means the prototype Leitz gun camera.

This is the other expensive European website.

There is a FED 2 for over £200 if you look on the Leica shop website I paid £5 for mine & another £5 for a 50mm f2 lens.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies