Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th August 2015, 04:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
Fair enough, just wondered.
Sorry to sound snappy. I think there's also something a little bit humorous about extracting colour via B&W although not sure the manufacturers would see the joke - the monopolies commission made Ilford stop making their colour film in the 1960's.

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but if making 3-filter colour pictures using monochrome could get adopted as a cult hobby practice by young people, it would give the likes of Foma & Harman a shot in the arm. Schools & colleges might take it up, as apart from B&W photo & processing it also teaches a lot of basic colour theory, & links the camera on through scanning into computer image work.
Old 20th August 2015, 04:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
Sorry to sound snappy. I think there's also something a little bit humorous about extracting colour via B&W although not sure the manufacturers would see the joke - the monopolies commission made Ilford stop making their colour film in the 1960's.

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but if making 3-filter colour pictures using monochrome could get adopted as a cult hobby practice by young people, it would give the likes of Foma & Harman a shot in the arm. Schools & colleges might take it up, as apart from B&W photo & processing it also teaches a lot of basic colour theory, & links the camera on through scanning into computer image work.
A good idea, boosting sales for analogue. Not sure how healthy "cult" hobbies are for the long term; may get the younger element thinking film must have scratches, "artefacts" etc...

Of course for motion picture work, cinematography at one time relied on three separation negatives for RGB made in camera registration before printing to dye transfer, so perhaps we could promote that again...

Tom
Old 20th August 2015, 10:18 PM
Friend

Perhaps why I've got an enthusiasm for this is that it's the oldest technique for making colour photographs, originally extremely difficult & expensive, which now suddenly becomes quite simple & cheap once scanning & digital presentation are involved.
Old 20th August 2015, 10:33 PM
Friend

There is little doubt from the recent arrivals on another site that they are in effect hybrid users i.e. new film users who then scan and maybe print via inkjet or simply scan and then send rather than produce prints of any kind. Primarily they haven't got the facility to set up a darkroom and/or do not want to devote space and expense necessary to set one up in case it doesn't become a hobby for life.

So there is substance in Martin's point that such a thing as he started a thread on might well add to the newcomers attraction to film.

How long such conversions to film last is another question and not one that I am competent to comment on

Mike
Old 21st August 2015, 10:15 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
Perhaps why I've got an enthusiasm for this is that it's the oldest technique for making colour photographs, originally extremely difficult & expensive, which now suddenly becomes quite simple & cheap once scanning & digital presentation are involved.
But that's cheating
Old 21st August 2015, 11:39 AM
Friend

You could always re-invent the beam-splitting cameras used for early colour tv and Technicolor. These used B&W film (in huge quantities) with separation filters. Incidentally, the brought on the development of retrofocus lenses, later used in SLRs, to achieve 'natural' perspective while allowing room for the prisms and mirror behind the lens.
Old 21st August 2015, 12:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
You could always re-invent the beam-splitting cameras used for early colour tv and Technicolor. These used B&W film (in huge quantities) with separation filters. Incidentally, the brought on the development of retrofocus lenses, later used in SLRs, to achieve 'natural' perspective while allowing room for the prisms and mirror behind the lens.

There were still cameras made before WWII here's an example but various companies made them. They were mainly used for advertising work.

MWClassic had one for sale recently, I'm not sure if they sold it.

Ian
Old 22nd August 2015, 08:12 AM
Friend

Default Bermpohl beam-splitter

That Bermpohl camera is just what I had imagined - I had no idea that such a device had once existed. From the description and diagram it looks to have been a very sophisticated, thoroughly-developed system.
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:42 AM
Friend

Here's Madame Y herself, supposedly snapping with the Vivex one-shot camera. Same idea, beam splitters & 3 plate holders for each of the RGB separations.

https://artworkoftheweek.wordpress.c...r-camera-1937/

I got a one-shot camera back in the days when Christies still did camera auctions, & still have it. The semi-transparent pellicle mirrors were had disintegrated & I tried to do a makeshift repair - however those cameras are an art & science all of their own, so I didn't get anywhere. No wonder they were so expensive & rare.
Old 24th August 2015, 02:51 PM
Friend

Hi Martin
I used to introduce colour printing to my students by Showing how 3 b&w images projected through colour filters made full colour images. I photographed a colourful still life with 35mm FP4 through the same filters you used. I reverse processed the FP4 to make positives then projected them through filters 29, 47 & 61 using 3 projectors. It's amazing when the colour image jumps into life. It shows how long ago I did this, you'd be hard pressed to find 1 working 35mm projector in a college or Uni these days, let alone 3. I think I still have the b&w slides somewhere. I will try the digital route you used.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies