Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th November 2015, 09:36 PM
Friend

Default Poundland 200 ISO film - a warning

I have just developed 3 x 24 exp films and there was evidence of fogging on all of them. This was in the form of a shadow that covered about 1/3rd of the image area and into the rebate. Not very visible looking directly at the negs, but enough to spoil an otherwise good image.

I developed another, but without exposing it, and the shadow was there too. More dense at the start of the film and fading towards the end. All the films were well in date. I have a strong feeling that this is a sign of poor storage, possibly exposed to a heat source before I bought them (Kept in a fridge since then).

I have used this film for quite a while now and this is the first problem I have had, but it is not worth risking it if the results are going to be unusable.

Back to full price film - ah well!

Last edited by John King; 28th November 2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 29th November 2015, 09:05 AM
Friend

I've just shot two rolls of this stuff and didn't have any problems. You're sure it couldn't be a processing issue?
Old 29th November 2015, 09:54 AM
Friend

Defintely not the processing, the shadows are consistent with some sort of outside influence. The shadow is a straight diagonal blurred line, is similar to those I have seen the same with a powerful X Ray at airports. Also bad storage near a heat source. I used the same tank for B&W and they are perfect.

The 'shadow' gives a brown tinge to the colour print, where it is clear of the 'shadow', the colour balance is normal.

Weather permitting I will expose a cassette of Fuji Superia and see what happens but I don't expect anything.

Last edited by John King; 29th November 2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 29th November 2015, 11:34 AM
Friend

Take it back to Poundland get a refund or ask 3 new films. I have never had a problem with Vista 200 just wished it was 36 exposure not 24. The concept of Poundland amuses me, many people do not realise that they are buying one pounds worth of something instead of items discounted to a pound.
Old 29th November 2015, 11:35 AM
Friend

If it was a storage problem let's hope it is one store rather than a warehouse. I've got about 8 rolls in the garage and have used about 10 rolls without any trouble.
Old 29th November 2015, 01:44 PM
Friend

My JOBO processor is on as we speak. I used a 24 roll up but using a different camera just in case there is a shutter defect. The others were taken using a Minolta SRT100. Given the age of the camera the sideways movement of the FP shutter, if curtain No2 is dragging this could be giving varying degrees of exposure.

This time I have used my F6. Because of this I have used another of the Poundland Vista films

I print a few 5x7's later on today to see if there is a difference.
Old 29th November 2015, 08:48 PM
Friend

I've friends who shoot a lot of this film with no issues, I haven't had any either.

Ian
Old 29th November 2015, 09:21 PM
Friend

Default Final Analysis

Well I have done two sets of tests. 10 exp each, one using the Agfa film and the other with Fuji Superia. Both in my F6 with the same 35/70 F2.8 lens. They were removed from the camera in the darkroom (no lights) and loaded into a tank with 2x35mm reels. They were each developed as normal using the Fuji Hunt kit.

10x8 Prints were made and with the Agfa film the shadow was still there, changing a light grey overcast sky to one part light fawn. The Fuji Film was clear, the only difference being a slight colour balance change needed.

It grieves me to have to throw out otherwise good film, but when they exhibit a problem, it is not worth risking failure.

At least I know the shutter on my Minolta is not at fault.
Old 29th November 2015, 10:02 PM
Friend

I use a lot of Poundland sourced Agfa Vista and I am delighted with it. However, a month ago I had one roll of this film with dark patch's towards the centre of four frames.

I suspect that Poundland just store the film in a convenient part of the store room with no understanding of what exactly film is. One bad cassette out of several hundred means I will continue to use this film.
Old 30th November 2015, 11:39 AM
Friend

Default Faulty film

JohnMargetts, if like you I had one iffy film I would just put it down to bad luck, but I am not prepared to risk using it any more. I have now had 4 out of 4 faulty films from the last batch I have used. It is almost invisible if the background is textured but is very visible in sky areas. I will buy mine now from reputable sources rather than a bucket shop. It isn't worth the risk.

I do have 4 rolls of 36exp Vista which obviously didn't come from Poundland so will continue to use them.

I have a about 14 rolls of 24 exp so if you are prepared to risk it, anyone can have them for the cost of the postage. Some may be OK because they came from different branches, but I don't know which is which. Personally I wouldn't bother.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies