Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th February 2016, 07:39 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Default Silverprint on the Move

Has anybody else seen this press release? It looks like Silverprint are closing their London shop and relocating to a warehouse on the South Coast. They will have a trade counter for personal callers.

This is the full Press release.

"SILVERPRINT LTD - PRESS RELEASE

ON THE MOVE!

15 February 2016

Since 1984 Silverprint has been passionate about supplying Traditional and Alternative photographic products and is pleased to confirm this will certainly continue.

In recent years, many Digital and related products have been introduced into the range and the same passion extends to these lines. This reflects the demands and requests from a wide diversity of customers now being supplied. Silverprint looks forward to continuing to expand the product range offered and as always supporting Photography.

As with the majority of retail businesses, Silverprint could not ignore the importance of Online Sales and has constantly invested in the Website and Social Media, to reach out to customers in the UK and Worldwide.

Today 85% of customers are purchasing either through the Website, via email or phone. However, as a result of the growth in this area of the business, the current premises had proven to become unsuitable to operate from, especially when handling the increased order volumes.

Following many months of review, the decision has been made to relocate Silverprint to Warehouse Premises in Poole, Dorset. Unfortunately in relation to this, the London Store at 120 London Road will close this Thursday 18 February at Midday, for the final time.

Due to the amount of lines offered (currently over 3,500) and the space required, it was considered not possible to retain a smaller Retail Shop in London.

During the relocation, Silverprint will make every effort to limit any disruption to customer orders. The main number 02076200169 and Website www.silverprint.co.uk will remain Live throughout the changes and every effort will be made to keep customers updated.

A sincere thank you is extended to all customers who visited the 120 London Road Store. It is hoped that all will support this change and progress to ordering through the Website www.silverprint.co.uk, via email or phone. Customers are also welcome to visit the new Premises, as a Trade Counter will be in operation.

The ultimate aim is to support both existing and potential new customers by further improving the On-Line Customer Service Experience with Silverprint.

Best regards

Clive Matlock
Managing Director"

Bill
Old 16th February 2016, 07:50 PM
Friend

Thanks for the heads-up Bill.

I wasn't aware of this but I suppose in many ways it's not too surprising.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 16th February 2016, 08:51 PM
Friend

Its a massive shame
I hope they can survive as basically online only where price is the only thing thst really maters
most things they sell i can get cheaper online from europe or the states
I did shop there in person as it was very convenient as Process supplies still is

robin
Old 16th February 2016, 09:14 PM
Friend

Thanks Bill. Not a lot of notice for London customers but maybe good news for a lot of Dorset customers who fancy a day out in Poole.

Mike
Old 17th February 2016, 09:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Its a massive shame
I hope they can survive as basically online only where price is the only thing thst really maters
most things they sell i can get cheaper online from europe or the states
I did shop there in person as it was very convenient as Process supplies still is

robin
I quite agree that if you move online then you are headed for shark infested waters. Online is only and purely about price (with some slight consideration about service). Also, the 15% that did buy from the shop (presumably people and students living in or near London) will have done so because of convenience, the advice on offer or the desire to deal with a human being. That is a huge part of your customer base that they are risking loosing.

In Berlin we had two main suppliers of analogue materials: Foto Impex and Monochrom (with this being more archival storage and presentation related). Monochrom closed the shop and went online. My first order of materials that were identified as in stock on the website failed to appear. When I phoned I was informed that they did not know when stocks would arrive. Needless to say I have never bought from them since - having found several smaller firms that can provide advice and, perhaps with a couple of days delay due to needing to order items, can reliably meet my needs.

During one of my visits to London last year, I was amazed that Process Supplies were still going - almost like a time warp when I used to work in Clerkenwell in the 1980s and was often in the shop several times per day.

Anyway a great shop for photographers in the South-East to support. They are also working with one Mr Martin Read (he of Goldfinger, Silverprint and Secrets of the Vortex fame) with regards to Foma products (if I remember correctly).

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 17th February 2016, 12:58 PM
Friend

You never know, without the overheads of a london shop to pay for maybe their prices might become a bit more competitive for online - and lets face it they will have to.
Old 17th February 2016, 05:13 PM
Friend

When ever I was in London I used to drop in and pick up a few bits. I'll miss doing that next trip. In which case I should make more images.
It seems a strange place to move to as Pool is almost as expensive as London. I can think of a number of location that are lot more cost effective. Anyway all the best to silver pint in there new venture.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 17th February 2016, 06:18 PM
Friend

I have been buying from Silverprint for as long as I can remember (as well as the other well-known suppliers) and have only visited one of them once - and that was Silverprint, about three years ago.

So for me stock availability, prices and the quality of the postal service are my main requirements when placing an order.

The move to Dorset is interesting. Although not as expensive as London Dorset to buy in to it is certainly not far behind!

I wish them all the best with their relocation.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th February 2016, 07:31 PM
Friend

The long term early success of Silverprint and also Robert white was down to the passion of their founders. With that gone both companies changed for the worse as far as I (as a customer) have been concerned and I switched to other suppliers with no regrets.

Ian
Old 17th February 2016, 08:55 PM
Friend

For reasons which I have posted on another thread I stopped using Silverprint a long time ago, When Martin sold the firm it simply was not the same, Good luck with the move, I wish them well, but I will stick with my current suppliers
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies