Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th March 2016, 05:10 PM
Friend

Default When did the C41 process begin?

I could have googled this and have done and Wikipedia comes up with a date of 1972. Can anyone comment on the accuracy of this?

I need to check whether an exposed colour film that someone has asked me about is OK for C41 Let me give more details:

The cassette says colourprint film and was issued by what I think was a mail order processing company, similar to the likes of Gratispool, Bonusprint etc.

The cassette says TriFCA 35 Mark IV and has an address of P.O. Box 60, Chelmsford CM2 7RD. It even has a price on it of £2.75 including VAT but I am unsure if this was the price of the cassette or the processing cost.

All we can be sure of is that it is post decimalisation which was Feb 1971. That and the price suggests a C41 film rather than C22 but anyone here on FADU local to Essex may have more information about this company.

Thanks

Mike
Old 9th March 2016, 07:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I need to check whether an exposed colour film that someone has asked me about is OK for C41
Most film brands manufactured for process C-22 did not withstand the higher temperatures of C-41. As I recollect Eastman Kodak had the field to themselves until other manufacturers devised harder emulsions that did not infringe EK's patents. Processing the new films in C-22 produced printable negatives, albeit with weird filtration. I think that your estimate of 1972 is about right. Can't help with TriFCA
Old 9th March 2016, 09:08 PM
Friend

TriFCA colour negative film wasn't C41 it was colour negative movie film with a remjet backing and needed special processing which was only offered by the company itself (for short lengths).

Ian
Old 9th March 2016, 10:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
TriFCA colour negative film wasn't C41 it was colour negative movie film with a remjet backing and needed special processing which was only offered by the company itself (for short lengths).

Ian
Thanks Ian. Not what I was hoping to hear. It sounds as if this company in Chelmsford had obtained a lot of movie film which it cut up into 35mm cassettes, sold to customers in the sure knowledge that not only did it get revenue from sales but was assured of revenue from processing as it had to be sent back to that company.

Any customer buying a film and trying to process it elsewhere at a high street processor was liable to be refused or if it was processed elsewhere the processor's equipment would suffer?

It's a pity. The cassettes in question have emotional value as the taker is now dead. I feel I cannot give any more details or the full story.

Mike
Old 10th March 2016, 09:56 AM
Friend

Mike -- I just got your message == well, I HAVE heard of 'TRIFCA' film but do not know WHERE in Chelmsford the company was -- I thought it was made by ICI when it took over Ilford Limited for a while -- I do know it was NOT standard C41 process. I didn't know it was 'Cine' film as poster above said -- maybe you will have to try to process as B&W in Rodinal 'stand' process 1+100 for an hour !
Old 10th March 2016, 10:44 AM
Friend

The film and processing was advertised on mail order catalogues like Empire Stores, etc in the '70's. It had a gimmick in that the prints were made up of one large and two small images on each sheet. I don't know about the process, but the film and service was around after 1973. The name, I believe, derived from Triple FCA, referring to the 3 prints on one sheet. I don't know what FCA stood for! There was, I'm sure, discussion about this film recently on here or possibly APUG.
Alex
Old 10th March 2016, 12:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
The film and processing was advertised on mail order catalogues like Empire Stores, etc in the '70's. It had a gimmick in that the prints were made up of one large and two small images on each sheet. I don't know about the process, but the film and service was around after 1973. The name, I believe, derived from Triple FCA, referring to the 3 prints on one sheet. I don't know what FCA stood for! There was, I'm sure, discussion about this film recently on here or possibly APUG.
Alex
TriFCA was the brand name of a company called the Film Corporation of America, they used to send 3 images from each negative I think printed on the same sheet as you say Alex, two small & one normal. I think they sent a free film back when you had them processed.

Either my sister or my mother tried them and the quality wasn't that good. I may have some prints and a print wallet somewhere as I ended up with all their photos.

Ian
Old 10th March 2016, 11:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
maybe you will have to try to process as B&W in Rodinal 'stand' process 1+100 for an hour !
The "rescue" strategy of B&W Rodinal might be acceptable as I know that it was the last film taken before the taker died. What would be the processing sequence and specifically how is the remjet backing removed.

Thanks

Mike
Old 11th March 2016, 04:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
...specifically how is the remjet backing removed.
After the fix, remove the film from the spiral and wipe the back with a Spontex (Cellulose, very soft) sponge under gently running water. Then complete the process. Although fiddly, and may be impossible with Patersons, it's safer if the film is reloaded back into the spiral. The only problem I ever had was when the snake of loose film in a washing-up bowl got scratched, presumably by adjacent loops.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies