Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th July 2016, 01:31 PM
Friend

Default Tmax 400 in Rodinal

Is there anyone here using this combo? I just shot a couple of rolls of TMY in 120, and the scenes would suit the Rodinal "look" very nicely. This will be my first time using Rodinal with any film, and I would like to get this relationship off to a good beginning. If I can at least I get in the ballpark with the dilution and agitation I will be happy.

I have read elsewhere that the Tmax films need minimal agitation when developed in Rodinal. The recommended method seems to be 1+50 dilution, agitate continuously for the first minute, then 10 sec. every third minute. Results that I have seen from this are very nice indeed. While this is normally used for compression, with Tmax and Rodinal together it seems to be a necessary thing even for normal contrast scenes.

I recall from one of my earlier threads (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...7&postcount=53) that Phil recommended something similar: continuous gentle agitation for the first minute, then one gentle inversion every 30 sec.. Phil, if you tune in here, is this is your general method for all films(?). Or do you do something different for TMax? (assuming you've used Tmax with Rodinal )

In short -- does Tmax need any special handling in Rodinal, different from other traditional-grain films?

Any insight and experience to share most welcome! Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Svend

Last edited by Svend; 5th July 2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 5th July 2016, 02:30 PM
Friend

Hi Svend.
A few years ago now I would develop Tmax 400 in Rodinal, I found that 1/50 suited the film better than the 1/25 dilution, 12 minutes at 1/50 at 20, agitate gently for the first minute, then 2 inversions every 30 seconds gave me really nice negatives. good shadow detail, that Rodinal look, worked fine for me, others here will probably have different ways of working with that film/developer combo, but that is, I think, the nature of Rodinal. it is a forgiving developer, and does certainly gives a different feel to a negative. Only way really is to get a ball park figere and adjust from there,
Richard
Old 5th July 2016, 03:54 PM
Friend

Thanks Richard. Very helpful, and seems to reinforce what others do -- gentle agitation, less than for other developers. When you used Tmax in Rodinal, did you agitate less than for other films?
Old 5th July 2016, 04:26 PM
Friend

For other films. my main film these days, Fomapan, and for TriX I invert 3 or 4 times every 30 seconds, first time I tried Tmax I did the same and the results were not good, so tried gentle agitation, twice every 30 seconds. and gentle agitation for the first minute and results were perfect, Rodinal and Tmax are a good combination, at least to my eyes, For HP5+ Rodinal 1/50 needs a lot more time than the sheet suggest, at least 2 or 3 minutes, quoting from the sheet I use for Rodinal, which is at least 20 years old, pronted by Agfa, hp5+ 1/50 15 minutes, I find it needs 17 to 18 minutes, and needs much harder agitation than any other film I have used, both during the first minute and I try for 6 inversions over 5 seconds every 30 seconds, but that is the only film I have had problems with
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 5th July 2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 5th July 2016, 04:29 PM
Friend

Good to know -- thanks Richard!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies