Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th September 2016, 11:14 AM
Friend

Default No longer made

More years ago than I care to remember, at least the late 1960's Ilford used to make a powder film developer called Hyfin. It was a high accutance developer sold in sealed packets in powder form, each to make 500cc. If I remember correctly there were only two films for it to be used with which were Ilford Pan F and FP3 (I told you it was a long while ago). Either film required 18 mins at 68F.

It was like no other developer I have used before or since, negatives were sharp beyond compare, clean rendition with good shadow and highlight detail. The closest that I have come accross was home brewed Beutler 2 part developer.

Once with water it had a very short life and had to be used in 24 hours of mixing or it went dark brown.

I have approached Ilford for information but they could not (would not) help and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about it.
Old 13th September 2016, 02:37 PM
Friend

i did a search and found some info on APUG but couldn't link it
Old 13th September 2016, 02:39 PM
Friend

From Ian Grant via APUG

In his book "Photographic Processing Chemistry" (1974 Focal Press), L.F.A. Mason lists a typical High Acutance Developer.

This may possibly be the formula for Hyfin, which was Ilford's High Acutance developer, available from 1961 until the early 1970's. Mason calls it a typical formula:

High Acutance Developer

Metol 0.5g
Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 5g
Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 5g
Water to 1 litre

Development times 15-25 minutes
Requires a minimum of 600ml of chemistry per 35mm or 120 film.

Mason notes that additions to the formula have been proposed, either 0.1g/litre Potassium Bromide or 5ml of 0.0001% Potassium Iodide solution. (He may be referring to other similar formulae like FX-1 etc)

Hyfin was sold in packets containing 5 sachets of developer each one making up 600ml of solution. I have two packets of Hyfin & will weigh the contents of a scchet next time I'm in the UK.

Hyfin instructions were:

Pan F & FP3 - 18 minutes @ 20°C
Continuous agitation for the first 10 seconds then 5 seconds every minute.
Gives 1 stop more effective film speed
Old 13th September 2016, 04:44 PM
Friend

Default Hyfin

Those instuctions at the bottom of the previous post are exactly as I remember, although I don't remember the film speed increase. It was such a superb developer I was surprised that it was discontinued. Mind you I do recall that it was quite expensive when compared to the likes of the original Rodinal.

600cc per sachet makes sense because I used to make the full quantity and develop 2 films by dividing the solution in two and using an old Patterson 300cc (and very leaky) tank.
Old 14th September 2016, 09:30 AM
Friend

You could try Studional it has the some of characteristics you describe. A litre of working solution has a three month life or 12 film production which ever comes first.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 14th September 2016, 01:56 PM
Friend

John -- in the chapter on non-solvent high acutance formulas, the Film Developing Cookbook by Anchell and Troop refers to a few developers with the characteristics you describe. Their take on the properties of FX-2 seem closest to what you seem to be looking for.

Further, FX-1, modified FX-1B, and D-165 all have similar formulas to what Monst has posted, with differing ratios of ingredients.

If you don't have the book, I can summarize their descriptions for you and post the recipes. Let me know...

BTW, for the recipe from Monst, I'm guessing that makes a working solution? Pretty low amount of Metol for stock. Further dilution wouldn't leave much in the soup.

Good luck in your search.

Svend
Old 14th September 2016, 06:02 PM
Friend

Hyping isn't quite the formula in Mason's book, it contained Glycin as well as Metol. I'm away in Canada at the moment so can't check but seem to ember Mason saying an equall amount of Glycin.

I still have 2 or 3 packets of Hyfin, the Glycin has oxidised unfortunately.

Ian
Old 14th September 2016, 08:44 PM
Friend

If I recall correctly, Crawley's FX-2 also contains glycin, whereas FX-1/1B and D-165 do not. I can check Anchell & Troop if you like...

Hope you're getting closer to a good ersatz formula for Hyfin, John.

Svend
Old 15th September 2016, 11:10 AM
Friend

Default Ilford Hyfin

Thanks for all the replies they will be quite helpful and I will consider if it is worth trying to replicate it.

I am going to E mail Ilford again (it is 3-4 years since I last spoke to them about it) and see if they will either release the formula or consider re-introducing it even in limited quantities.

The latter is not likely, but if you don't ask you never get.
Old 17th September 2016, 01:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
High Acutance Developer

Metol 0.5g
Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 5g
Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 5g
Water to 1 litre
If my arithmetic is right, those are the exact ingredients and quantities of Beutler, when diluted to the working mix. No wonder you got such close results with Beutler.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies