Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th April 2011, 01:15 PM
Friend

Default Clip Test

I have 2.5 litres of ID11 made up since May 2010 and stored in a full bottle in my darkroom. I was told that a change in colour is no indication of it's usefulness and that I should preform a 'clip test'. I've heard the term before but am unsure how to carry it out and what results should I be looking for?

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 20th April 2011, 01:24 PM
Friend

Vincent,

As I understand this you simply clip (cut) a small section of an exposed film (say two or three frames for 35mm) then develop this in the developer you are testing using your normal technique. When the film clip is dry evaluate it alongside one of your normal negs from the same film / developer combination (not the same film/developer you are testing!). If all OK your developer can be used.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 20th April 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 20th April 2011, 01:45 PM
Friend

I assume you are talking about Stock solution. Given Ilford’s advice (below) and assuming that it is of necessity conservative, I should think it should still be OK. Neil’s description of a clip test is my understanding of what is required as well.

WORKING SOLUTION LIFE
PERCEPTOL, ID-11 and MICROPHEN stock
solutions should last for up to:-
6 months in full capped containers
1 month in a half full tightly capped container.
4 months in a deep tank with a floating lid.
1 month in a deep tank without a floating lid.
PERCEPTOL, ID-11 and MICROPHEN diluted 1+1
or 1+3 should not be kept for more than 24 hours.
Old 20th April 2011, 02:32 PM
Friend

Vincent ,
In all probability your developer is fine,and Neil's discription of a clip test is correct,
Richard
Old 20th April 2011, 03:55 PM
Friend

Vincent

Do please tell us if the stuff is any good.
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:41 AM
Friend

I make up 5L of ID11 stock at a time and use it diluted 1:1 as a one-shot. That develops 33 35mm cassettes or 20 120 rolls and lasts me a couple of years at least, sometimes three. I keep it in a 5L container (ex-MG developer) in my cellar darkroom at 16 -20 C (it never gets higher than 20 C). That means that as I get towards the end of a batch there is a large air-bubble above the liquid. I don't have any concertina bottles. I have just finished a batch, which was quite brown and at least two years old - it darkens steadily with time. If there is a difference in activity as it gets browner I can't be sure; if anything there is less contrast but I am happy with the results.
Years ago I had a batch of stock which after a couple of years, probably longer, developed a black precipitate like thin tea leaves which hung in suspension - that was gone bad, I tried it and it wrecked a film. That is the only time I have thrown stock solution away. Conclusion: brown OK, precipitate bad.

Richard
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:16 AM
Friend

Richard,
I also make large quantities of developer then bought 5 brown glass liter-bottles at the pharmacy and fill them tight up to the rim. after one year the developer is fresh as if newly prepared.
peter
Old 22nd April 2011, 01:16 PM
Friend

That's great news, I feel quite confident now to go ahead and use it as it is. I'll report back if anything goes awry. Thanks everyone.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies