Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Auctions of Interest

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th January 2022, 01:50 PM
Friend

Default T. F. Blumfield Condenser Enlarger with 3 lenses & accs (Bowens Nocon Timer)

This looks a beauty.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234372620...8AAOSwkOJh3XKA

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 11th January 2022, 05:47 PM
Friend

Looks like a fundibulator.

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 11th January 2022, 08:04 PM
Friend

It has to be good as there is another one at half its price on the same page.

I always find those big condensor tops unnerving. They remind me of the kind off hoods that get placed around someone's head and then prison lights dim at midnight

Mike
Old 11th January 2022, 08:27 PM
Friend

That one has been on eBay for a very long time, Mike. There is also a third, which has appeared more recently.
I agree that they look superb, especially the one Martin has spotted, but you would probably need experience of using one before taking the plunge.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12th January 2022, 02:07 PM
Friend

The other listing has the enlarger pictured next to a chair beside a door. It's huge! I doubt it would fit on my benches, which are on the low side already. I do hope though there's someone out there with a bench made of girders who'll take it on and make us of it once more.
Old 12th January 2022, 02:58 PM
Friend

Yes, there's a period advert from the British Journal on eBay (search Blumfield enlarger) showing that the largest size (3½" x 2 ¼", I think) is nearly as big as the attractive operator. I wonder how she focussed it at full extension? Or anyone.

We had an enlarger with similar dome housing in our school darkroom when I was a teenager. If you didn't have a good grip of the bulb-holding column when releasing its tightening screw - or if you failed to tighten the screw properly - the bulb dropped and smashed on the condenser. Hopefully the Blumfield model was better thought out.

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk

Last edited by snusmumriken; 12th January 2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12th January 2022, 08:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusmumriken View Post
Yes, there's a period advert from the British Journal on eBay (search Blumfield enlarger) showing that the largest size (3½" x 2 ¼", I think) is nearly as big as the attractive operator. I wonder how she focussed it at full extension? Or anyone.

We had an enlarger with similar dome housing in our school darkroom when I was a teenager. If you didn't have a good grip of the bulb-holding column when releasing its tightening screw - or if you failed to tighten the screw properly - the bulb dropped and smashed on the condenser. Hopefully the Blumfield model was better thought out.
These were Large Format enlargers, all formats up to 5"x4". In the late 1970s I employed a consultant who had worked with Blunfield in Birmingham, also Alpa cameras and Elinchom in Switzerland - they were in the same ex British TB clinic. Tim had heritage, his French mother was from the famous Lumiere family. The Lumiere factory was eventually an Ilford plant I think acquired by Tellko a Swiss film and paper manufacturer based in Marly, taken over by Ciba, and later when Ciba bought Ilford Lumiere and Tellko factories took the Ilford name.

Tellko essentially invented the early versions of the Cibachrome/Ilfochrome papers.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies