Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th December 2021, 12:15 AM
Friend

It will be interesting to hear if the slot's treatment works. It's not a problem I have hear of before but like the "Naked City" line there are "8 million stories out there" The problem being that unless those users report a similar problem on a forum and then its solution we never know about it

Mike
Old 20th December 2021, 12:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
If it is the Nova processor you can't just 'replace' a part the only thing that you can change are the heating elements.
Is changing a processor's heating element really possible John?

I have a Nova, where the cube holding in one of the elements came off, into which moisture got, which stopped the unit working.

I was thinking about selling it 'as is', for use as a non-heated unit, or for someone to fix if they knew how.

So, any pointers would be gratefully received, as I have this second unit just sitting there, when it could be used by someone else.

Terry S
Old 20th December 2021, 12:58 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I changed the heating elements in mine some time ago. Replacement elements weren't cheap even then. The newer temperature control unit, once attached to the elements, as appears to be the case with Terry S's, is at the plug end in the replacement unit and less likely to get wet.

Mike
Old 20th December 2021, 01:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I changed the heating elements in mine some time ago. Replacement elements weren't cheap even then.

Mike
Yes, I too have looked at replacement elements sold by The Imaging Warehouse and yes, they don't come cheap. But also looking at the new designs at 'www.optimadarkroom.com', which were crowdfunded, they use a totally different heating element, which is a lot cheaper. I now wonder if one of these would fit? I think I'll contact them to ask.

Some thoughts to ponder over...

Terry S
Old 22nd December 2021, 05:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Is changing a processor's heating element really possible John?

I have a Nova, where the cube holding in one of the elements came off, into which moisture got, which stopped the unit working.

I was thinking about selling it 'as is', for use as a non-heated unit, or for someone to fix if they knew how.

So, any pointers would be gratefully received, as I have this second unit just sitting there, when it could be used by someone else.

Terry S
Changing the elements is actually quite straight forward. The biggest problem may be the actual condition/age of the original one you have to remove, because the rubber that holds the tube in the end of the processor on mine was quite hard with age and possibly not helped by heating and cooling repeatedly over a time. If the old one is absolute toast I think you could be justified in butchering the old element to get it out. Don't break the glass tube though as the fragments are a pig to remove.

Once you have the old one out, offer up the new one to make sure it fits, but don't insert. Now lubricate the rubber with something like Vaseline to help it slip through the hole and resr on the edge of the acrylic end plate sit in the molded recess of the seal. (Don't use grease designed to be used on a car)!

Once you have the new element inserted, fill the tank with plain water to check for leaks and calibrate it to whatever temp you use.

Last edited by John King; 22nd December 2021 at 05:52 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies