Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th November 2009, 07:50 AM
Friend

Default Making a Lensboard

I'm looking to make some lensboards, either for my MPP or Sinar, to give these little beauties a spin:

They're Zeiss Protars, from around 1911, 8.5cm, 14cm and 32cm focal lengths all in perfect condition.

I've heard of a material called Sintra that's used a lot in the States for quick fabrication of such items. It comes in black in various thicknesses and is easy to work, but I've not found anywhere locally that has it.

I was wondering if the collective wisdom of this group had any experience of making this kind of thing, or any suggestions for alternative materials? I don't really want to mess around with metal, as this is only a trial run. I don't have rear locking rings for the lenses so they are going to have to be a tight push fit into whatever material I use.

Any ideas?
Old 18th November 2009, 08:47 AM
Friend

3mm plywood. If you are able to cut a slightly undersized hole then you should be able to screw the lens into the board.
Old 18th November 2009, 08:53 AM
Friend

Hi Roy

I understand Sintra is also known as Foamex.

This link should help

http://www.westwardplastics.co.uk/d_...&subcat2=White

Best regards

Andrew
Old 18th November 2009, 10:10 AM
Friend

Roy,

I have made quite a few lensboards over the years from high quality birch plywood which is available from model shops, and usually comes in thicknesses of 1.5 and 3.5mm. Two sheets of 1.5mm glued together make a very rigid board.

Most of my lenses have come with a locking ring, but I recently mounted a barrel lens with no locking ring by gluing a disk of ply to the inside of a lens board, to thicken it up, then cut a tapping size hole and screwed the lens in so it tapped its own thread-as Dave suggests. I also glued a metal ring from a 49mm filter to the inside of the disk so I can screw on a filter if needed.

Making the hole the right size is the only difficulty. I have an adjustable hole cutter from when I made musical instruments for a living. You may be able to borrow one if you can track down a guitar maker. I would be happy to cut them for you if you get stuck.

Alan
Old 18th November 2009, 12:34 PM
Friend

I have a CNC cutter at work which can cut a variety of plastics and laminates. I would also be happy to make a few for you.

We have Foamex here but only in 5mm thickness and white.

Steve.
Old 18th November 2009, 02:56 PM
Friend

My suggestion would be ABS comes 3mm thick and you can have textured of smooth finish and is quite easy to work with.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:22 AM
Friend

Thanks for all the advice and offers of help on this.

I've ordered some 3mm ply on eBay and will let you know how I get on.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies