Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th February 2010, 01:06 PM
Friend

Default Problem with Dunco 16x12 4-blade easel

Hi all

I mainly use a beard 2-blade design easel but last year splashed out on a new 16x12 4-Blade Dunco easel so I could centre it better on my baseboard. But I've had nothing but hassle with it so it's been sitting in the box for 12months since new.

Decided to try using it again yesterday and today but still very frustrated and it's making me err-grumpy! to think of the money I spent on it (wasted).

Here's are the issues I'm having. Don't know if it's just me or a maybe a faulty/bad design easel.

First off, the adjustments knobs (front left in particular) rotate freely with no grip (too lose) you must hold blade down to get some tension on it and then its spins round - not precise or positive movement. (maybe I expecting expecting geared precision).

Secondly, I really tried hard to square the blades with the 2 adjustable locking screws (right hand and buttom of top frame) but either it's wacko or the printed measurements painted on the blades aren't correct. If I move the horizontal blades (top blade reads 3") and the bottom blade (reads 2.7 or 2.8). Shouldn't the top, bottom, left and right all match if set to the same measurements).

For example 7" on the left blade and 7" on the right when I move the horizontal blade (like a ruler) this should be straight it off by 1/3"-1/4".

Even if I get a external plastic office ruler and overlay it on the printed blades they are not accuate printed.

Thirdly, when I insert my paper into the groove/slot and move the black sliders along the grove to the edge of my paper as an aid to keeping the paper still, I find the inserted paper on the left has about 2mm more recessed than the right side of my paper, thus the boarders are uneven again.

Whichever of the four paper slots I use, the same problem occurs in how far you can push the paper into the grove and doesn't really hold paper steady anyway.

Sorry if I'm rambling on but I so angry about this piece of junk, I honestly feel like taking down to my local trip and get rid of it or maybe offer it free to someone if I can't resolve these issies. Please, please offer some tips!

I contacted firstcall when I initially had this problem and they replaced the easel but the 2nd one was really no better so I put it away until this week and feel it's the worst bit of kit I purchased.

So far my 2-bladed beard is a materpiece of engineering and makes perfect boarders with such ease, but it would be nice to have the easel centred on the baseboard for smaller printing.

Really deperate for some help, don't really want to to throw it away but I am so depressed with it.

Thanks in anticepation

Larry
Old 5th February 2010, 02:02 PM
Friend

I pratted about with a couple of 4 bladed easels years ago and came to the conclusion that they are a royal PITA to use so went to a beard 2 bladed and haven't regretted it.

The only thing a 4 bladed easel would seem to offer is the ability to exactly centre image on a piece of paper but in reality that just never works for all the reasons you give. And you need to trim edges of paper anyway to ensure the most susceptible part of paper retaining chemicals is removed. So you can centre by trimming anyway.
Old 5th February 2010, 02:21 PM
Friend

Agree with the above comments, I tried a 4 blade easel some time ago but spent more time trying to get it right than actually printing, so went back to my old two blade easel and never looked back,Richard
Old 5th February 2010, 02:39 PM
Friend

I have a 12"x16" Beard 4 blade easel which is slow to set up, but does have the advantage of allowing the paper to be centred. I got fed up with changing easels to suit paper sizes.

I have been considering changing it for another 4 blade easel with geared or friction blade adjusters such a the Dunco so am especially interested in the resolution of your problem.
If no one here can offer a solution then you should talk to the supplier since they have a duty to supply you with something that is fit for purpose. I suggest that you phone them and discuss the matter first.
Old 5th February 2010, 03:22 PM
Friend

Larry, sorry to hear of your problems with the Dunco 4 bladed easel.

I have a Dunco 16x20 4 blade and its fine. Bought it S/H from Darkroom Supplies a few years ago.

I did have to adjust the squaring of the easel as you describe and it was fine.

With regard to the friction tension on the knobs have you tried tightening the two screws to each knob mechanism?

Considering the problem you are having with the paper grove/slot, sounds like a manufacturing fault and the metal base plate has not been aligned correctly when assembled to the base board.

I always ignore easel blade markings for setting print margins, preferring to do this by simply marking the back of a discarded print with pen lines to the size I require and bringing the blades to these lines before I make the actual print.

I would certainly contact Firstcall again and inform them of these problems for this should be a 'top draw' easel and what you have sounds absolute crap.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 8th February 2010, 02:48 PM
Friend

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all you kind thoughts and suggestions. Maybe I just got a one-off lemon product, but even some of the world's very best products sometimes slip through on the market with flaws. Anyway. I've just spoken to Firstcall and I will be sending them some written details of my issues with the easel and they told me they will translate this information into German and foward it to the manufacturers HQ.

Larry
Old 8th February 2010, 03:05 PM
Friend

Sorry to hear about your problems Larry and I hope you can get them sorted soon.

I have a Beard 4 blade but seldom use it as I prefer the Beard 2 blade as I find it more accurate and easier to set up - it also has a white baseboard which I prefer. For getting around the problem of doing small images on the large 2 blade I purchased a S/H 10x12 Beard 2 blade which is a delight to use for smaller images and moves around under my enlarger without sticking out anywhere. I have thought of selling my 4 blade but hang on to it for old-times sake

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 7th May 2010, 11:26 AM
Friend

Hello and good afternoon everyone,

Update 7th May 2010

Just received a call this morning from Firstcall Photographic who have been discussing my easel problem with the manufacturer in Germany in an attempt to help resolve my alignment and quality issues.

With a somewhat long delay, a positive reply came back to say that a replacement product will be despatched and the problematic one collected for return to Germany for QA testing and inspection etc.

I will of course update you all again in due course.

Cheers

Larry

Last edited by Larry; 7th May 2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 7th May 2010, 12:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Hello and good afternoon everyone,

Update 7th May 2010

Just received a call this morning from Firstcall Photographic who have been discussing my easel problem with the manufacturer in Germany in an attempt to help resolve my alignment and quality issues.

With a somewhat long delay, a positive reply came back to say that a replacement product will be despatched and the problematic one collected for return to Germany for QA testing and inspection etc.

I will of course update you all again in due course.

Cheers

Larry
That sounds like good progress, albeit somewhat slow.
Old 7th May 2010, 01:27 PM
Friend

Larry I'd have been amazed if Dunco had proposed any other action, given that Martin from Silverprint describes it as "not cheap but then again neither is a Rolls Royce"

I hope the new one is 100%. I think Dunco are likely to have thoroughly tested the one it sends. It really can't afford to do otherwise at the prices it charges. Reputation is hard won and easily lost as those companies who go bust find out.

Mike

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies