Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th June 2014, 08:56 PM
Friend

I bought a Kiev 4 in 1974, which was to me at the time just a fantastic camera. I had no idea that it was a copy of the German Contax.

I loved that camera and it made some fantastic sharp images with the included 50mm Jupiter lens.

It's a bit of a shame that Russian cameras seem to be no longer imported into the UK, I believe that the company who sold them was called T.O.E.

I wish I still had it now but it eventually succumbed to light leaking though the roller shutter, which was apparently a common fault with the Kiev's.

Was a great camera though and I still remember the pride I felt from owning and using it !!
Old 15th June 2014, 09:48 PM
Friend

I wonder what cliveh makes of this thread and everything we have told him? Since he started it on New Years Eve 2010 I haven't noticed any further post from him on the subject?

So Clive, what are your conclusions on all this or was it just a conversation starter in case we stopped talking to each other?

Mike
Old 18th August 2018, 11:08 AM
Friend

Default First Camera used

A Kodak box camera coloured red with a very small viewing lens. I am not sure if it took 120 or 620 film.
Only reason I know is that the other day I was sorting through some old negatives and was trying out photographing them with the digital using an old enlarger post using one of those LED cinema signs as the light source. Good for 120 as the letter grooves are just on 120 width! Anyhow this process worked very well and it is obvious from one photograph that one person missing, me. OObviiously taken in the mid 1950s and I remember th family camera well. Obviously I was allowed to use it. So too my sister as there is a photo of her using it as well. Cannot find one of me using it though.
Old 18th August 2018, 11:31 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I wonder what cliveh makes of this thread and everything we have told him? Since he started it on New Years Eve 2010 I haven't noticed any further post from him on the subject?

So Clive, what are your conclusions on all this or was it just a conversation starter in case we stopped talking to each other?

Mike
Just checking the OP's stats, and his last post on this site was in April 2018, so he is still around.

'Calling Clive, calling Clive, please report in.'

Terry S
Old 20th August 2018, 12:11 PM
Friend

Bownie 127, then Zeiss IkoFlex with f/3.5 Tessar. Big enough negative for contact prints!
Old 20th August 2018, 06:13 PM
Friend

1951 Festival of Britain School trip -- a classmate showed off his Brownie Reflex Box camera and I was amazed -- he took me to the School Photo-Soc in the Chemmy Lab and i saw 'Contact Printing' -- I rushed home an got my Mum to look out her Kodak Brownie 'Hawkeye' 120 Box and i cycled 5 miles to a wonderful Emporium in Leytonstone, 'Marston & Heards' where the Ancient Proprietor blew the dust off Government Suplus films, papers and chemicals - I was HOOKED ! I tried everything with that Box camera including Farnborough Air Show ! My first Enlargement was my Mum in the Garden, done at School when we got a Gnome Enlarger -- I took it home still wet between 2 sheets of Graph Paper-- it still has the Green Lines on it !
https://www.flickr.com/photos/258509...7677708139501/

Last edited by pentaxpete; 20th August 2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:11 AM
Friend

I had a Coronet Box Camera at 11, back in the 50's, my first serious camera was an Exa 500 SLR back in '68.

Apart from fuji x series digitals, I mostly enjoy using the following:-
Pentax LX, ME and a Rollei 35s
Old 30th October 2018, 08:42 AM
Friend

I first used a pre war Rolleiflex TLR in the early 70's that my Dad had on permanent loan from one of my great uncles who lived abroad most of his life. My great uncle is now dead, as is my father and I still have it. I also have another Rollei TLR that belonged to my other great uncle which is a slightly later model (it doesn't let one double expose like the earlier one). I recently got them out and plan to put them to use again. The older one of the pair seems to work better than the newer one, which needs a service.

My Dad being rather frugal bought a kodak instamatic 126 film to use after this, which I used quite a lot. He then switched to an OM1n & when I got my first job I bought one too so we could share lenses.

Not being the type of person who finds it easy to part with things I still have all these cameras apart from the instamatic.
Old 31st October 2018, 03:10 PM
Friend

First camera was a grey Kodak 127 Brownie, somewhere in the very early '70s. Then a Praktica LTL3 about 1978. I passed that to my brother when I bought a Minolta, so not sure what became of it.
I'm now in the position of having what is really too much choice. Yesterday I set about organising my gear a little better, and found that I had eight cameras loaded*
That's just embarrassingly stupid, and that kind of lack of focus explains why I'm not making very good images just now. I processed some of the film, exercised several shutters and bagged up most of the cameras.
Once I get a grip on my outstanding processing, I'm will have to be much more disciplined.

A Minolta Dynax 505Si loaded with HP5
A Minolta SRT101 loaded with HP5
A Zorki 4 also loaded with HP5
My Voigtlander 667 loaded with (yes, you guessed it) HP5
One C330S loaded with Rollei IR400
One C330S loaded with Velvia 100
A Minolta zoom compact with colour neg I took on holiday a year ago, and forgot to finish.
A Vivitar 3D camera also with colour neg

(We will ignore the pile of loaded 5x4 holders for now).
Old 7th November 2018, 05:17 PM
Friend

My mothers Kodak Brownie 127 with colour film in it, I must have been 11 or 12 years old at the time, maybe it was 1969-70. I still have some of the holiday snaps buried in my house somewhere in the void. The "void" is the place where all things end up that I cannot find but I know that I have.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies