Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th July 2013, 02:10 PM
Friend

Default Cleaning Nova Processors

Here's a tip I can say works and works very well. My nova 4 Bath processor is elderly (A bit like me) and consequently has serious levels of tar on the developing slot and to a lesser degree on the stop bath and bleach slots too.

I had heard that it was mentioned that Phosphoric Acid was good for removing tar (Road chipping type) from areas of car paintwork. I happen to have a 1ltr bottle of Aluminium Cleaner (For car wheels) in the garage which is a week solution of Phosphoric Acid. I bought it years ago from Machine Mart where they sell it under the Trade name of Clarke's for about £6-£10.

I tried it on the float that goes over the developer slot and it dissolved the tar and staining almost immediately with no vigorous brushing needed. Far better than the stuff sold by NOVA to do the same job. And cheaper too!

There is virtually no offensive or toxic smell either, unlike NOVA'S product, so can almost certainly be used indoors and it doesn't foam up like it either plus it rinses off very easily. I am going to drain off the whole tank next week so will post a before and after picture to let you see how good it is.

Update
I have just been onto their website and it is £4.43 per litre not £6 as I said before

Last edited by John King; 17th July 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 17th July 2013, 02:24 PM
Friend

Default Any more 'better than' deals to pass on to us all?...

I got a bottle of Nova cleaner with my unit when I bought it some years ago now (secondhand unit btw) and to date have not had to use it!

Saying that, maybe I need to have a closer look some time soon...

Sounds a bit of a better deal you got there though John.

Any more 'better than' deals to be passed on by others?

Terry S
Old 17th July 2013, 03:59 PM
Friend

Household bleach works well but of course use gloves and take sensible precautions. If you are not in hurry make up a weak bleach solution and fill up the slots with and leave it for a few days and that will do the job for you. I usually squirt a bit of thick bleach in each slot the carefully top up with cold tap water from a jug, then leave it for about a week. The lids can be placed in a tray and given the same treatment.

Plastic / nylon film spirals can also be cleaned up by the same method - use a bowl, large jug or tray to contain the spirals.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 17th July 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 17th July 2013, 04:49 PM
Friend

Citric acid (5% solution, powder available from home-brew suppliers) removes tar effectively, if slowly at room temperature. The quickest method I ever saw was pure alcohol, distilled from the 1980s wine lake, at Kodak-Pathé in France.
Old 18th July 2013, 11:08 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Household bleach works well
I always thought that bleach just whitened and brightened things up?

Or does it actually DISSOLVE any tar residues etc?

Terry S
Old 18th July 2013, 12:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Terry S
Bleach will only whiten and brighten organic items or things made from organic materials.
Old 18th July 2013, 03:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Terry S

It works for me and has done over a large number of years.

If you have a seriously tarred up Nova you may need something stronger to give it the blunderbuss treatment to get it back to pristine condition. The secrete probably is to not let them get too bad and clean them regularly. That is the system I operate and it saves money to buy some film / paper

Neil.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th July 2013, 03:43 PM
Friend

The something stronger with less apparent drawbacks than Nova's Tarbuster would appear to be what John initially suggested

In my case even strong bleach has a problem with one of my white tubes used to cover the fixer slot.

John I take it that you have used this product often enough to be sure that there is no adverse long term effect on the material in a Nova.

My guess is that within a few weeks any adverse effect would have manifested itself.

Certainly if you have one Nova only and use it for both colour and B&W and want a rapid turn-around then the stuff John mentions would seem best.

In my experience once the dev slot has been used for a few weeks on a colour run then the tar build up is high and bleach takes several days to clear it and even Nova Tarbuster takes maybe 24 hours or so

Mike
Old 18th July 2013, 05:15 PM
Friend

Well I did say I usually leave the items I wish to clean soaking for about a week. I have no experience of using bleach as lightening tar buster

Scrubbing tanks with a toothbrush or the like to get a quick job has no appeal to, which I've had to do with even some commercial products. If the job can be done just as well with a bit of time and little effort - that's for me everytime.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th July 2013, 05:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
If the job can be done just as well with a bit of time and little effort - that's for me everytime.
Manana manana tut tut Neil, what an example to set the younger generation, what has happened to the work ethic. Roll up your sleeves and get stuck in.

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies