Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th April 2011, 08:59 AM
Friend

Default Cutting 35mm film

OK, that is 120 sorted - but what about 135? Even Michael Langford in (what is my bible) 'Basic Photography' 7th Ed fig 11.12 shows scissors being used in a changing bag! I have a small pair with very rounded noses and always use them when loading 135 film. Even manage it with cotton gloves on!
Flickr Site
Old 7th April 2011, 09:06 AM
Friend

I load my 35mm film straight from the film cassette. Once it is all wound on to the reel, it can easily be torn along the film exit point. No scissors needed.

Steve.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:24 AM
Friend

I just tear 35mm its easy and quick.

Neil
Old 7th April 2011, 09:35 AM
Friend

I always used to cut it, a couple of 45 degree snips on the leader, at each side to help it onto the spool and then cut the end.

I'd stop wearing gloves if I was you , you aren't touching the film at any point of the loading process, wearing gloves just makes the whole thing more difficult.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:20 AM
Friend

I always cut a couple of 45 degree cuts at the leader end of 35mm, makes it easier to load, but I load straight from the cassette, and at the end of the roll I just tear it away, tears very easily, easier than risking my fingers with scissors in the dark,
Richard
Old 7th April 2011, 10:28 AM
Friend

I went on a photography course when I was 16 (many years ago) with John Walmsley. He said not to load film straight from the cassette as it involves pulling the film through the light trap again and so risks more scratches - his thoughts not mine but I have always followed the advice since.

So in my changing bag I have a trusty swiss army knife - can opener to open the cassette and scissors to cut the leader off (I make the cut square and never have any problems with loading - so far I still have all my fingers as well!)

Martin
Old 7th April 2011, 11:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinWaller View Post
He said not to load film straight from the cassette as it involves pulling the film through the light trap again and so risks more scratches
It's been through twice already - possibly a third time when it was manufactured so one more time at the slow speed required for loading a reel probably won't hurt.

Steve.
Old 7th April 2011, 01:25 PM
Friend

I must admit I do cut 35mm but not in a changing bag. If the scissors are roundnose and you move your hand away from the cutting hand in the bag then not much chance of an accident I suppose.

For bulk loaders who use a manufactured cassette again it is the only way as this leaves you a half to one inch piece of film to which you can attach the bulk roll.

It is something I do. Often the manufacturer cassette are better and cheaper than the re-useable cassette. Use once or twice more only then throw away. Any minilab will give you its old cassettes if you ask nicely. They are only binned otherwise.

With 120 why bother with an extra tool i.e. scissors, in the bag that isn't needed has been my philosophy.

Mike
Old 7th April 2011, 05:11 PM
Friend

I take it that when you speak of cutting the film in the bag, you mean when most of the film has been loaded in the spiral and the cassette is near the spiral entry slots. The reason I ask is that as most of us waste at least about 6” of film when loading the camera, it means you can pull a similar length from the cassette before you put it in the bag. Then cut the leader off in a nice straight line between the perforations and even make it slightly arrow shaped by cutting a little off each corner. You can then load about 6” of film into the spiral in daylight. Then placing the spiral sideways on top of the tank (single tank core already inserted), this and inner lid can be zipped up in the bag. Make sure you pull the bag passed your elbows as light can’t go round corners. Now you know where to find the spiral – on top of the tank. Wind in all the film and when you get to the end with the cassette, tear the film away from the cassette. However, I should qualify this tear method, as you will have to use your finger nails at the very edge of the film to initiate the tear. Try it with a scrap bit of film – scissors not required.
Old 7th April 2011, 08:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
I take it that when you speak of cutting the film in the bag, you mean when most of the film has been loaded in the spiral and the cassette is near the spiral entry slots.
Indeed, yes. Generally I, like just about everybody else, rewind the film such that it does not go completely back into the cassette then shape the end to make loading into the spiral easier (done outside of the bag). Once everything is in the bag, I pull a little more film out, to give a bit of room for manouevre, then whip the top off the cassette and ease the spool out. Load the film onto the reel until close to the end and then use the round-end scissors to cut it at the spool. Have never tried to tear it, so did not realise it can be done that way. My concern would be with creasing the film when attempting to tear it.
Flickr Site
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies