Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th August 2012, 11:14 PM
Friend

Default stupid mistake.

I made a cockup tonight while developing, using two tanks I may have washed a roll straight after development, and re stopped and fixed the other roll that should have been washed. I say may,I'm sure I did. I tried to reload onto a reel but it's not happening. Question is,will stopping and fixing tomorrow when the neg is dry, ( I guess the water would have stopped development somewhat,but probably wasn't in for long enough,I use the ilford method) be enough to 'fix' the problem. I could kick myself.
Lesson learned,stop doing two jobs at once,or at least mark the tanks
Old 26th August 2012, 09:10 AM
Friend

Provided you kept the film in total darkness before re-fixing and washing it should not matter. Years ago while at school, I left a reversal film in water all weekend, in total darkness, after the first development stage and went back to it on the Monday and it was fine. Remember to reload the film in the dark if it needs re-loading onto the spool. If the film that is still wet and needs re-loading onto a spool an old photographer once gave me the tip of re-loading the film, in total darkness, in a large bowl of water so all the film in covered and the reel as well by the water.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:12 AM
Friend

It happens to the best of us, so you should not feel to bad. The possiblity is that the negatives will come out with an uneven look to them. It is not something that has happened to me so I cannot give a positive answer.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:28 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySeagrave View Post
I tried to reload onto a reel but it's not happening.
Does this mean that you removed it from the reel in the light?

If so then the film is ruined.

If it is still in the tank I think the Ilford wash system would have been sufficient to stop development
Old 26th August 2012, 11:09 AM
Friend

An interesting dilemma and I'll be interested to hear the outcome.

For the better I hope.

Terry S
Old 26th August 2012, 11:52 AM
Friend

They dry as I type, there was still images on the roll,although I thought a little darker. I didn't keep them in darkness as confusion set in when I opened the tank, I'm even more confused now as to what I did hearing the advise given,I should have blank negs but I don't. I really should get my wife to multitask,I'm incapable of it. Anyway,all is not lost. I'll scan them when dry and upload a couple.
Old 26th August 2012, 10:30 PM
Friend

I have no idea now what I did last night but the negs turned out Ok,printable anyway. Another lesson learned.

[/IMG]
Old 27th August 2012, 11:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySeagrave View Post
I didn't keep them in darkness... I should have blank negs but I don't.
In my mind, if you had developed the film and then stopped the process, either with stop bath or water, the film shouldn't have been overly affected by any light that reached the negs afterwards, as the developing sequence had finished...? So, the negs should be almost as normal surely??? If anything, you should have very dense negs, which would print as white if the chemical developing had continued in any way surely?

Anyway, the prints have turned out not too bad, with the top half of the prints being a bit lighter to my eyes. A quick five seconds in PS, giving the top half a bit more contrast brings them up no end, so a similar dodging / burning of the top of the print on a higher contrast paper in the darkroom should hopefully have the same effect?

Terry S
Old 27th August 2012, 09:14 PM
Friend

Hopefully Yes Terry, looking forward to seeing what I can achieve with them. I took them with a new to me old Yashica 124G,with a modified back from a 220 camera,thankfully the 120 works ok, also metered with an app from the iphone, which is about 2 or 3 stops more accurate than the meter on the camera. It's all big adventure really.
Old 27th August 2012, 09:54 PM
Friend

I have done something similar, in my case, forgotten to load fix into a jobo processor, so it processed to completion having done dev, wash, then a rinse. I spotted this on opening the reel, but didn't remove much of the film from the spiral before realising what i'd done. I shoved it back on the reel, and re-ran the processes, this time only loading the fix, and it came out fine ;-)
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies