Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th September 2012, 08:07 AM
Friend

Default Splicing 35mm neg film together

For an 'alternative' project, I need to splice 35mm film together. I see Hama Film cement on the market - but will this work on 35mm? Also does it make any difference if the film is processed or not?
Has anyone any experience of this?
Old 24th September 2012, 09:15 AM
Friend

Providing the film cement is in date and is 'matched' to the film base material, yes it should work.
I would splice after the film is processed, that way you will know when you come to cut the film you are not cutting away anything you may need. When splicing you clamp the film down on a splicer and then guillotine the film to make two matching pieces. When doing this, if for some reason things go wrong, you may have to do it again and you lose film, at least you can see what you have lost. After the guillotining you then scrape off the emulsion on each piece of film, apply the cement and hold until set. Also, I know the film processing chemicals should not affect the cement, but I would not risk it when it is just as easy to do after processing.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies