Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd October 2013, 05:50 AM
Friend

Default Making a living

Morning all.

Any one here making a living from film based photography?
Just curious.

Cheers
Richard
Old 3rd October 2013, 07:33 AM
Friend

Not a living but up to around 2005 I covered all my film, paper and chemic costs.
Due to personal circumstances I stopped looking for any paying work and later found that with nearly everyone having a digital or camera phone not many wanted my taking or darkroom skills.
Old 3rd October 2013, 08:11 AM
Friend

I do, I have a Niche market over here, both in print sales and other work, and while I will never be rich there is a market over here for black and white traditionel work, small, but enough, and I am the last profesional as far as I know, doing what I do
Richard
Old 3rd October 2013, 08:23 AM
Friend

Not making a living but I usually sell at least 5 prints (more when I have a solo exhibition) per year which is a nice 'little extra' and a very rewarding experience.

Davod.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 3rd October 2013, 02:29 PM
Friend

I had a long chat with a guy who runs a studio in Pézenas, in the South of France. It's where the playwright Molière had a theatre a while back, so there's a healthy tourist trade during the summer. The studio's main business is pets, weddings, kids and food (for the local restaurants' menus), which he does digitally, but he spends part of his winter shooting B&W of the local mediaeval architecture and sculpture, selling exquisite mounted and framed selenium-toned bromides. He admits that he would go broke without the social photography, but the B&W A3 prints sell for good money. They are offered with a certificate promising archival permanence. He makes his own frames, by the way.
Old 5th October 2013, 01:05 PM
Friend

Thanks for the answers all.
I just asked as a sort of mini survey because I get a fair few work experience students these days - something I'm keen to do - and most seem to want to do darkroom work.
It's difficult to imagine any of these young people ever setting up a darkroom! The cost and space and running costs probably kick that in to touch along with all the new ways of sharing and viewing photographs. It must happen though because new members join this site all the time, and they can't all be old!
Cheers
Richard
Old 5th October 2013, 02:45 PM
Friend

Richard- I just followed the link to your website.
Wow! Your black and white stuff is absolutely beautiful. I particularly liked the Pennine and Scottish stuff.
For anyone who hasn't looked, definitely worth it.
Old 6th October 2013, 08:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Richard- I just followed the link to your website.
Wow! Your black and white stuff is absolutely beautiful. I particularly liked the Pennine and Scottish stuff.
For anyone who hasn't looked, definitely worth it.
Well thank you very much! I have been around quite a while now - or at least it feels that way - so I suppose I ought to have one or two pics worth sticking above the mantle piece.

Cheers
Richard
Old 6th October 2013, 10:48 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I have just followed the links (from Richar L's profile) and echo skellum's comment. I only had a quick look at the black&whites but they looked really good; just my cup of tea. I couldn't get an enlarged version of the individual photos: I get an error message at the bottom of the screen. I don't know whether it is me or the website.
Reading the blurb, I understand that the B&Ws are taken on film. all?
Mike
Old 6th October 2013, 01:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I have just followed the links (from Richar L's profile) and echo skellum's comment. I only had a quick look at the black&whites but they looked really good; just my cup of tea. I couldn't get an enlarged version of the individual photos: I get an error message at the bottom of the screen. I don't know whether it is me or the website.
Reading the blurb, I understand that the B&Ws are taken on film. all?
Mike
Mike. Thanks for that. All the black and white images are from film. I'm making life difficult for myself by promising to never do a digital 'conversion' to b+w, but to always use proper b+w film. Most of the images are from 5x4, and the rest on roll film, 6x12, 6x9' and 6x7.
All the best
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies