Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th March 2016, 07:09 PM
Friend

Default Polaroid back

I bought a Shackman passport camera to remove the Polaroid back. It accepts Fuji FP 100C film, and I have a number of packs to use. The back fits behind the ground glass on my Horseman 4x5 camera. Does it need a dark slide? The Bronica one I have is fitted with a dark slide. I can make one for this back if necessary. Does anyone have a back like this that was made specifically for 4x5? If so, perhaps you can let me know if a dark slide is essential. Thanks.
Alex
Old 26th March 2016, 08:10 AM
Friend

I use a Fuji instax camera from time to time. The film I load comes with a disposable dark slide that is ejected before first use. This would suggest that you need a dark side if you wish to remove the back once the film is loaded. something I cannot do with my camera.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.

Last edited by photomi7ch; 26th March 2016 at 08:11 AM. Reason: fingers pressing the wrong keys
Old 26th March 2016, 04:19 PM
Friend

I think it probably does need one. When fixed to the passport camera, the film is shielded until the moment of exposure, so a slide is not required. It should be possible to make something. The back is almost identical to the ones sold for 4x5 cameras.
Alex
Old 28th March 2016, 09:25 AM
Friend

I take it Alex that there is a place for the dark slide to be held in place?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 28th March 2016, 07:58 PM
Friend

Hi Mitch. It doesn't have a place for the darkslide at the moment. These backs seem to have a basic form that is adapted for different applications. It was attached to the passport camera with a number of screws. I simply unscrewed it, and the back, as removed, fits behind the ground glass. The reason I wanted it is to make use of five packs of the Fuji film. I have a Bronica back that uses the same film, but the print is 2.25" square, which wastes most of the film area (3.5 X 4.5"). The Bronica back has a darkslide, so I guess the film must be open and, therefore, vulnerable to fogging as soon as you start using the pack. I think I will need to make some sort of frame to screw or glue in place to hold the darkslide. Unfortunately, the Bronica slide is too small.
Alex
Old 27th January 2019, 04:36 PM
Friend

Default Polaroid film for Hasselblad?

Ffordes list PolarPlus, NPC and Polaroid 100 Hasselblad backs for a modest outlay. Is that because the film is no longer available? Are the single-sheet packs that peel apart to reveal a negative still available?
Old 4th March 2019, 10:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Ffordes list PolaPlus, NPC and Polaroid 100 Hasselblad backs for a modest outlay. Is that because the film is no longer available? Are the single-sheet packs that peel apart to reveal a negative still available?
For which Hasselblad backs are Polaroid film packs available, PolaPlus, NPC or Polaroid 100?
Old 5th March 2019, 02:01 PM
Friend

I don’t think film will be available for any of them. I’m sure the Fuji product that fitted them is no longer produced. I have a Bronics SQ back made by NPC. It took the packs of 10 sheets that were around 3x4”. The Bronica, of course, only used a portion that was 2.25” square. I’m not an expert on Hasselblad equipment, but I can’t see any reason why any of these backs would have used larger film as it would only have meant more unused film area. There are some instant films still produced, and a new Polaroid branded camera was introduced recently, but I’m not sure which film it uses. I think you’re correct when you surmise that the backs are cheap because film is no longer available.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies