Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th January 2021, 07:30 PM
Friend

Default Peak Enlarging Focuser

Is it worth getting a Peak grain focuser 111, I have a Paterson one ,but would a Peak make it easer to focus .any help
Old 28th January 2021, 07:56 PM
Friend

The Ahel Scoponet is supposed to be very good - as recommended by Sir Don McCullin.
Old 28th January 2021, 09:42 PM
Friend

I have the top version of the Peak Finder and they are superb - but unless you have a flexible focussing extension such as Kaiser sell for their enlargers when making anything bigger than 10x12 from 35mm you are in danger of dislocating your shoulder.
They are quite low so the angle you have to lean over to focus the lens at makes it difficult to use. Perhaps it is an age thing, but as you joints stiffen. I use a Paterson major to get the initial sharp focus and check at the corners using the Peak when the angle is a bit better.

With medium format there is no problem even up to 12x16
Old 28th January 2021, 11:03 PM
Friend

I got the peak focus finder simply for peace of mind.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 29th January 2021, 05:06 PM
Friend

I have a Peak and they are wonderful.

If I am using my Kaiser Enlarger, I find it is possible to look down the sight of the Peak without having my eye pressed against the eye piece and still see the grain - which is useful when the Enlarger Head is near the top of the column.

I bought mine as I needed to be able to see the grain when I was enlarging 5x4 negs.

I'd buy another if required.

Martin
Old 29th January 2021, 05:30 PM
Friend

I use the little paterson and have done so for years. It can sometimes be a bit difficult to focus but that is down to the size and fineness of the grain you are looking at.

As mentioned by someone else it will not stop the almost dislocation of my shoulder if I change even though I have thought of upgrading but just not gotten round to it.
I'm not sure I want to spend the money on something that will not change the status quo

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 29th January 2021, 05:38 PM
Friend

I do have a Peal but it is a struggle to reach the focus knob and I find the scoponet is higher and has a higher magnification which is why I use it most of the time.

Tony
Old 30th January 2021, 02:12 PM
Friend

thanks for all the advice ,I have back problems but I have devere enlargers so I don't have much of a problem focusing .What I do need to know is ,Is the Peak better than the patterson and why .

Thanks all

www.essexcockney.com
Old 30th January 2021, 02:30 PM
Friend

I have both and both allow me to focus the grain. The difference between them for me is that the Peak appears, brighter, crisper and therefore quicker and easier to focus. And it allows me to focus on a larger part of the negative area perhaps with better detail to focus on.

Whether or not the print is visiblly sharper between the 2 is debatable.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 30th January 2021, 03:23 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
I have both and both allow me to focus the grain. The difference between them for me is that the Peak appears, brighter, crisper and therefore quicker and easier to focus. And it allows me to focus on a larger part of the negative area perhaps with better detail to focus on.

Whether or not the print is visiblly sharper between the 2 is debatable.

I also have both and echo what MartyNL has posted. I prefer the Peak for most printing for reasons he gives. I use my Patterson Major for the larger prints because of stretching problem and haven't really addressed the solution of extending the means of focusing that I raised in a thread some time back:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ad.php?t=12185.

I use a Durst M800 Enlarger.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies