Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th February 2021, 08:12 PM
Friend

Default werra camera

I have a werra 35mm rangefinder camera with it,s brown leather case and strap, 50mm F2.8 zeiss tessar lens, a reversible lens hood that screws in and then reverse again to cover the lens, i have had some nice black and white pics with this camera
Has a built in selinium meter but probably not 100% acurate
Case is in nice condition and the camera is in good working condition, It looks exatly like this one but does not say "werramat" just "werra"
https://oldcamera.blog/2019/11/06/carl-zeiss-werra-mat/
I can send pictures to your email if interested
£50 plus postage
Old 15th February 2021, 09:28 PM
Friend

Default Werra cameras

I had a brief ownership of one in the middle 1960's. It was the basic model, no rangefinder, meter or anything else. There was even one that had interchangeable lenses.

I didn't keep mine for long, the rotating collar around the lens to wind it on and cock the shutter failed and I couldn't afford to have it repaired. That was a known weak spot with them and winding on has to be treated with respect. I had been gentle with it, but it wasn't new so had it been abused before I bought it?

I did find the fixed F2.8 Tessar absolutely brilliant.
Old 15th February 2021, 10:42 PM
Friend

Just before lockdown in March last year someone brought me a Wrra to look at it in my local drinking hole, it had been his fathers camera later replaced or joined by a Voigtlander Vito. They are nice quirky camers and the CZJ Tessar lenses were excellent.

I scanned the Werra section maybe 4 pages from a Focal Press shortlived annual Camera book back then it's a Precis of the Focal Press Werra Camera Guide. I can make that available in its PDF format to anyone buying his interesting camera.

On second thought Paddy I don't need another 35mm camera, I rarely shoot the format but I'd like to take it off your hands. It would be in good company with my other Eastern Block cameras Exactas and Praktinas.

Ian
Old 16th February 2021, 07:15 AM
Friend

Hi Ian
Yes it’s a nice little camera, I’ve had nice B+W pictures from it
Only selling to slim the camera Arsenal
Paddy
Old 16th February 2021, 08:37 AM
Friend

They are very nice little cameras they early ones had a olive green covering, and some of the first of them had a Compur shutter, but when Zeiss Ikon, from west germany stopped supplying the east germam Carl Zeiss firm with the shutters the were fitted with the East German madePrestor shutter which claimed a top speed of 750 second, although how accurate that was In can't say, and had a cap that closed, and those that had a meter it was visible in the viewfinder so that you could set the exposure with your eye to the viewfinder, I have 3 of them, one with the Olive rubber covering and the compur shutter,and one of the last, the werramatic, both use the interchangeable lenses, and also a fixed lens model, also the Rangefinddr models had a unique rangefinder, which was like using a split image focus in a modern slr, making it one of the easiest rangefinder's to use
Richard
Old 20th February 2021, 12:20 AM
Friend

camera now sold, thanks ian
Old 20th February 2021, 12:25 AM
Friend

I remember running a reel of efke kb100 through it and stand developing it in rodinal 1+100
The negs were nice and sharp and when printed reminded me of the 1950,s (even though i was not even born then)
Old 20th February 2021, 06:52 AM
Friend

I never owned one, but my friend - a serious photographer - did. It has a Tessar lens which is quite sharp. Here in Leipzig I see one form time to time in the second hand corner of the photo shops. These cameras have a large attraction for me. May be, next time i buy one.

But I have too much camaras, like most of us.
Old 20th February 2021, 08:32 AM
Friend

The camera arrived yesterday,it's identical to the Werra Mat (some were just marked Werra) a marvel of the 1950's hey-day of East German camera production, high build quality like the KW Pratkinas. Exacta's weren't as well built and get sloppy with wear.

This is a lovely little camera, thanks Paddy.

Ian
Old 20th February 2021, 12:13 PM
Friend

I was surprised how good the pics were off it, it was made by zeiss so it had to be good
I heard a story that one of the lens designers for zeiss used to stand at the end of the production line with a hammer and smash any lens that were defective, it might of been paul rudolph who designed the Tessar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessar
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies