Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th August 2013, 08:38 AM
Friend

Default Ground glass focusing aids & Cable release

I expect my first 4x5 camera to arrive in a couple of days, it will come with a fresnel lens installed. I wonder how essential is a loupe as a focusing aid and how powerfull should it be?

A cable release surely is an essential accessory, so should I get the cheapest, the dearest, vinyl covered... Thanks.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:22 AM
Friend

Default Loupe and cable release

I found a 10x loupe to be satisfactory with a 5x4" Sinar. I also used a 20x, but it's then difficult to locate the object being focused. You may find the fresnel screen obtrusive, although they are much finer nowadays. My favourite loupe (1960s) is by Wray. It is very heavy and has no provision for a neck strap but has a condenser lens close to the ground-glass, which greatly improves the viewing brightness.
A plastic-covered cable release is quite stiff and needs to be quite long, say at least 500mm, to avoid transmitting vibration. It also stresses the shutter mount. I still have some relatively short fabric-covered releases that work well on MF. Only one got damaged - by a child!
Old 25th August 2013, 09:31 AM
Friend

I never use a loupe with my LF cameras, they don't work that well with a fresnel. Focusing hasn't been an issue and I rarely need to use a darkcloth.

My experience is the cheaper cable releases last longer, carry spares as they are easily lost.

Ian
Old 25th August 2013, 09:34 AM
Friend

Hi Miha,
A loupe may not be essential but is a handy way to check focus. I use a 4x linen tester. Your fresnal lens will ensure even illumination across the whole of the ground glass, but may make the actual business of focussing more difficult if you use a very high magnification loupe. The fresnal lines will get in the way of what you are trying to focus on.
A 4x magnification works fine on my fresnal lens back. But on my other back which has ground-glass only, focussing is easier and I can do it without the loupe, just using my reading glasses. This is more convenient.

Your cable release should be long and flexible.

Alan
Old 25th August 2013, 09:39 AM
Friend

Thank you, I shall not hurry with a loupe then. About the release, I'm thinking of getting one of these: http://www.xn--drahtauslser-djb.com/ESITE/ I'm not sure about the length.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:53 AM
Friend

It's some time since I bought a new cable release, I found a camera shop that sold them for £1 each secondhand and used to send my niece to buy them for me, but I bought a bulk batch at the end of last year.

The heavy duty ones acn actually transmit vibrations as you release the shutter.

Ian
Old 25th August 2013, 10:04 AM
Friend

Thanks Ian, I didn't know that, I'll get a basic model. One more thing, how important is the auto-lock, I read it can get in the way actually.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:24 AM
Friend

Have you got an old 50mm lens? Either a camera or enlarging lens will work as a loup.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:41 AM
Friend

With my lenses the autolock is essential as it holds the shutter open , on brief, to allow you to compose and focus the image.

Alan
Old 25th August 2013, 11:10 AM
Friend

I find a 4x loupe is good enough for fine focussing, but I also suggest getting a cheap pair of reading glasses from a pound shop. Go for 2.50 diopter or maybe a 3.5 diopter these will enable you to get close to the screen but still see all of it.

nn
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies