Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th May 2011, 09:32 PM
Friend

Default Lens favourites

I think some lenses have a certain “je ne sais quoi” in terms of image quality, which is unique to their design and construction. My favourites related to 35mm are the Leitz 3.5 Elmar, Leitz 1.4 summilux and the 2” Taylor Hobson. Do others have favourites related to their particular choice of format?
Old 20th May 2011, 09:49 PM
Friend

Clive, I think this is a potentially non-productive route to go down. In archery I know that if I concentrate on the arrow when making a shot, I'm very likely to miss. Far better to concentrate on the target. In photography, I like to think about the subject rather than the lens.

Alan
Old 20th May 2011, 10:11 PM
Friend

Alan, how right you are, as when taking photographs we are not concerned about the kit. However, this is a contemplative question about the type of arrow we use prior to release.
Old 21st May 2011, 06:46 AM
Friend

I would say that my favorite lens is the Ross xpress, I have 4 cameras with it on, all English,
Richard
Old 21st May 2011, 06:58 AM
Friend

Questions and issues that might polarise attitudes, perhaps.

For me personally the light is far more important than the subject, and the lens is a prime factor in generating tonality. So I certainly do have lens preferences among those that I've tried. Discussing cameras recently, a friend of mine was a little shocked to hear that I was using a £600 lens on a £10 camera body.

In 35mm, the 31mm and 77mm Limiteds from Pentax will probably remain weapons of choice for a long time, though the Nitto Kominar 1.9/48 and Meyer Orestor 2.8/100 and were longtime favourites.
Old 21st May 2011, 09:14 AM
Friend

I only ever use one lens - I like to 'learn' how it 'sees' so that I can concentrate on image making. For the last ten years it has been the 65mm on the Mamiya 7. I find it suits my needs and delivers quality results.

The only lens I have had that was completely 'different' was the Leitz Noctilux on an M6. I bought it specifically for photographing fine wooden furniture for a client. At wide open it gave the most amazing (due to such limited depth of field) 3D appearance to close-ups of fine french polished wood.

The worst lens I ever owned was a very early 21mm Super Angulon for the M3. Total crap! Got rid of it after two rolls and bit the bullet and bought some Leitz glass - chalk and cheese come to mind.

Perhaps the qualities to which the OP was referring are more akin to the many colleagues of mine doing street photography who have moved to old Leitz lenses (pre super dooper coating) as they have a very particular 'look'.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies