Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th November 2008, 06:51 PM
Friend

Default why two domains?

Just curious but why do we have fadu.org.uk and film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk ?

Do you know that you can point fadu.org.uk to film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk or visa versa without setting up a another webspace using frames.
Old 4th November 2008, 06:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
Just curious but why do we have fadu.org.uk and film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk ?

Do you know that you can point fadu.org.uk to film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk or visa versa without setting up a another webspace using frames.
Yes, we also have fadu.co.uk and .com somewhere.
Old 5th November 2008, 07:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yes, we also have fadu.co.uk and .com somewhere.
I should expand on that, perhaps too curt reply, further.
When we were considering setting this site up it was felt that some folk may experience difficulty in either remembering or typing the full site name. In fact one, who shall remain nameless, wanted to call it by the acronym; a suggestion that I, shall we say resisted. I felt that once anyone had visited they would bookmark the site if it interested them. The compromise was to register several domain names, so that any misdirected traffic will end up here. So fadu.org.uk and fadu.co.uk will redirect you here whilst fadu.com is dormant. It's useful if you are logging-on from a machine other than your own even if they do only get you to the first page of the website.
Old 5th November 2008, 12:02 PM
Friend

Well if thats the sole reason then you should use redirection of those additional domain names to film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk and not create webspace for each them using frames. That means duplication of web sites as far google is concerned and that means its wasting googles resources since it has to crawl mutiple web sites containing exact same information which it takes a dim view of. (At least thats what I read somewhere on the web so take it as web info). It's has to crawl them to find out they are the same.

p.s. That is: use non framed web forwarding.

Last edited by Argentum; 5th November 2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 5th November 2008, 12:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Well if thats the sole reason then you should use redirection of those additional domain names to film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk and not create webspace for each them using frames. That means duplication of web sites as far google is concerned and that means its wasting googles resources since it has to crawl mutiple web sites containing exact same information which it takes a dim view of. (At least thats what I read somewhere on the web so take it as web info). It's has to crawl them to find out they are the same.

p.s. That is: use non framed web forwarding.
I'm under the impression that we are.
Old 5th November 2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

The FADU domains only point to duplicate "Welcome" pages. The forum itself is only on the film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk domain so search bots should not take a dim-view of that. From my reading in the past, Google's engine does not like to see many links to a site surrounded by the same text and will down-grade the ranking if it sees too many (how many is "too many" is not disclosed...) but I can't see a couple of such links being significant - the intention is to avoid giving a high ranking to scummy sites that hit blogs and open forums with the same spam message thousands of times.

It's true that using web forwarding would be a simpler option but I do not think this host has that option. I know they do not have a normal control panel (cpanel or plesk) like most hosts do so Dave would probably have to create a support ticket and get them to do it for him.
Old 5th November 2008, 01:29 PM
Friend

Can you not just set up a redirect? I have rhdigital.co.uk pointing to rhdesigns.co.uk's digital pages for example. My web host (1and1.co.uk) provides a root directory under which I can have as many subdirectories as I want, and I just tell it which domains to point to which subdirectories. www.dalesphoto.co.uk and others use the same web space as the two aforementioned as well, just different subdirectories.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 5th November 2008, 01:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
Can you not just set up a redirect? I have rhdigital.co.uk pointing to rhdesigns.co.uk's digital pages for example. My web host (1and1.co.uk) provides a root directory under which I can have as many subdirectories as I want, and I just tell it which domains to point to which subdirectories. www.dalesphoto.co.uk and others use the same web space as the two aforementioned as well, just different subdirectories.
I thought that's what we have, but I stand to be corrected. All the domain names are hosted on the one site, I'm not paying separate fees for the different sites. Anyway what has this to do with photography.
Old 5th November 2008, 03:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Anyway what has this to do with photography.
Nothing, but it is does have something to do with Feedback and forum matters

It's just that I think framed web forwarding uses a 302 apache status code which is a temporary redirect whereas non framed web forwarding uses a 301 code which is a permanent redirect and is preferred for search engine indexing.
Non Framed web forwarding would always send fadu.org.uk to film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk instead of using fadu.org.uk and creating a frames page with content loaded from film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk.
Framed web forwarding is often used by phishing sites and comes under scrutiny as a potential security risk.

All you need to do, if you so choose, is ask your domain host to change the alternate domain names to use "Non framed Web Forwarding" instead of "Framed web forwading". Then regardless of which domain anyone keys in, it will goto film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk and that is what they will see in the address bar instead of apparently mutiple copies of the site depending on which domain they use.

Just a suggestion....

Last edited by Argentum; 5th November 2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: correction of freudian slip...
Old 5th November 2008, 05:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Nothing, but it is does have something to do with Feedback and forum matters

It's just that I think framed web forwarding uses a 302 apache status code which is a temporary redirect whereas non framed web forwarding uses a 301 code which is a permanent redirect and is preferred for search engine indexing.
Non Framed web forwarding would always send fadu.org.uk to film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk instead of using fadu.org.uk and creating a frames page with content loaded from film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk.
Framed web forwarding is often used by phishing sites and comes under scrutiny as a potential security risk.

All you need to do, if you so choose, is ask your domain host to change the alternate domain names to use "Non framed Web Forwarding" instead of "Framed web forwading". Then regardless of which domain anyone keys in, it will goto film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk and that is what they will see in the address bar instead of apparently mutiple copies of the site depending on which domain they use.

Just a suggestion....
I'm still not clear, because what you suggest already happens, it's just that I selected the option to retain the typed address rather than risk confusion by displaying a different address to that entered.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies