Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th September 2011, 03:52 PM
Friend

Default What is your favourite Light ?

My light of choice for landscapes is sunshine and showers – the more dramatic the better (and inevitably wetter)

For me, it’s the mixture of strong sunshine and dark skies that does it.

I also like the way you get shadows from clouds giving extra interest when shooting larger/longer views

The mixture of sunshine and showers occurs most often in the spring and on into early summer with another period about now (Sept/Oct)

What is your favourite and why ?

Martin
Old 28th September 2011, 04:26 PM
Friend

I tend to gravitate towards grey skies with some texture and modelling, not just a flat grey. I love the 'melancholy of greys' For me the sky then forms a more gentle transition with the land, the sky does not compete with it as it does for me when there are big fluffy white clouds in the sky. I simply prefer quieter scenes more than I do dramatic landscapes.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 28th September 2011, 04:27 PM
Friend

I would say for me it is much the same as yours, but with the addition of very dramatic thundery type skys, which for us, with much of our weather coming from the direction of France, you get in spring and very early summer, july/august are normally not good for me for landscapes or seascapes, but from october and on into the winter months I love the light that we can get, and I would say that 90% of my landscape and seascapes are taken early spring and from october though the winter months,
Richard
Old 28th September 2011, 04:44 PM
Friend

The sort of light you get just before and/or just after rain where there is strong sunlight, blue sky with fluffy clouds in one direction and dark storm clouds in the other direction.

Steve.
Old 28th September 2011, 04:49 PM
Friend

I like directional lighting for larger landscapes and dull conditions for detail shots.

Steve
Old 28th September 2011, 06:09 PM
Friend

Devon / Cornwall winter light

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th September 2011, 06:38 PM
Friend

Bright sunnie days with with rolling clouds when it comes to landscapes or waterscapes it gives the picture a little drama. otherwise what ever it happens to be on the day

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 28th September 2011, 06:39 PM
Friend

I think one of the joys/challenges of photography is making what you can of the lighting conditions. Sometimes it's easier than others. I like the sun & showers scenario, too, particularly in Scotland. I also like mist and fog. OTOH some of my personal favourite images have been made in very unpromising conditions.

Rob
Old 28th September 2011, 06:53 PM
Friend

I like any light apart from a bright sunny day. Recently had a misty morning with the sun breaking through and that was something else.

Tony
Old 28th September 2011, 08:46 PM
Friend

Looking at most of my favourite images, I clearly have a preference for strong(ish) sunlight from a low angle. Clouds optional.

When I'm looking through my contact sheets shots with good highlights and shadows just jump off the page and they tend to print themselves.

Unfortunately, the places where I like to go and take pictures, the weather can never be guaranteed but when it shines so do the prints!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies