Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th November 2010, 04:27 PM
Friend

Default New Portra 400 Review- AP

For those interested, this weeks' AP has a review with some useful pics of scenes Portra is said to be good at. The new Porta 400 replaces the 400NC and 400VC films or will do in the U.K. towards the end of this month.

Mind you at the price quoted for a pack of 5 it had better be good. About £11.50 per 36 frame film

I suspect and hope that this is the typical "full retail" price for those who must buy within one or two days of its release. After which the price becomes more realistic over the ensuing weeks or few months. I recall new Tmax 400 was similarly priced on its release.

It seems to be a combination of the best of NC and VC but in my opinion and of course only from reading the article and looking at the pics it does not qualify as the "must have, new era breakthrough" which can command the price quoted

Mike
Old 7th November 2010, 05:44 PM
Friend

Did I read that right. £11.50 per 36 exp. Roll?
Of course will come down but even by 50% is still a lot.
Are we film users in danger being caught in the ol' supply & demand game?

Steve.

'Thoughts & Scribbles' blog

"You look at a colour image, but read a black & white one"

Flickr
Old 7th November 2010, 07:54 PM
Friend

Steve, hopefully someone else here has seen the article and the price at the end and can confirm that I hadn't misread it. The price was a throwaway two lines at the end so AP may have got it wrong.

Given the quantity of NC and VC that must be left plus the competition in the film retail business I think it will come down.

Kodak could of course be trying to keep the wholesale to retailer price ridiculously high across the board in the U.K. thus killing any real retailer competition. In this case those silly enough to pay "any price" will end up paying just such a price but even then and assuming the U.S. price is reasonable then Kodak will simply create a grey import market which will bring the film into the U.K. at the U.S. price plus reasonable mark up.

Hasn't both Ektar 100 and before it the new TMax400 exhibited the same high but short lived initial price followed by a gradual reduction so these two films now more nearly compete with their main rivals?

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies