Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st November 2008, 07:23 AM
Friend

It's a long time since I used Ilford developers,so I could be going up a blind alley, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DDX the liquid form of ID11?
Old 21st November 2008, 08:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It's a long time since I used Ilford developers,so I could be going up a blind alley, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DDX the liquid form of ID11?
My understanding was that it was formulated specifically for use with Ilfords Delta films when they came out. So perhaps the ID11 equivalent for T-grain films but not a liquid form of ID11. But who knows what's in it
Old 21st November 2008, 08:39 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeha Lynch View Post
Hmm, the Rodinal is running low. Who stocks a substitute these days?
Why use a substitute? Silverprint sells Rodinal. http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=5014

Bill
Old 21st November 2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Yes, my understanding too re' DDX - was formulated especially for Delta.

Flying off at something of a tangent... However, I don't think Delta can be called "T-grain" in the same way T-Max is. Not sure, but I seem to recall that it uses epitaxial growth (although I think that uses t-grains as the base) to add the impurities (bromides, iodides etc) to the edges of the crystals. There is a picture of what looks like an epitaxial crystal on the Harman site but it does not say what it is a crystal of... (http://www.harmantechnology.com/DotN...0/Default.aspx - about half-way down). And that just about exhausts everything I (think) I know about the subject ...
Old 21st November 2008, 03:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMar View Post
Why use a substitute? Silverprint sells Rodinal. http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=5014

Bill
It’s a deodorant Bill, don’t let them tell you any different.
Old 21st November 2008, 07:01 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It’s a deodorant Bill, don’t let them tell you any different.
Not been using it as that. No wonder I have been getting negative reactions.

Bill
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:53 AM
Friend

Well Bill, you can either be a gigolo or an analogue photography afficionado. Both might be fulfilling but cannot be combined. Life's too short to be an expert in both fields.

Dave. My only direct comparison with DDX and ID11 is in two rolls of D3200. The ID11 negs were much grainier even at 5x7. I'd be surprised if there was any real link between the two. Ilford is pretty restrained in it's marketing blurb in general but even it recommends DDX as the developer for its Delta films and I think this has some basis in fact/research.

While I generally like "milk and water" constrained companies in terms of claims I think that it could actually help it's position if it tried out and tested a bigger range of films with its developers.

I suspect the developers are more versatile and suitable than it gives them credit for.

Then again, I'd have tried launching 5x7.5 paper to match 35mm negs if I'd had any say in matters Ilford

Mike
Old 23rd November 2008, 01:41 AM
Friend

Ah, but put a 10mm border round your image, which the easel will take up, and you are back to 3:2 so unless you are printing borderless 5x7.5 doesn't make sense. Does it?
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
My understanding was that it was formulated specifically for use with Ilfords Delta films when they came out. So perhaps the ID11 equivalent for T-grain films but not a liquid form of ID11. But who knows what's in it
According to an Ilford source, no. Ilford DDX is the hobby sized version of Ilfotec DD which Ilford found to work particularly well with their then newly introduced Delta 3200 film. DDX was introduced around the same time or just after Delta 3200 if I recall. Ilfotec DD is a modern liquid concentrate designed for use in photo-labs for Dip & Dunk processors and designed to be replenished, hence the initials DD.
Ilfotec DD and DDX are buffered-borax liquid concentrates which is probably why some people consider them as being a liquid Microphen type.
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:00 PM
Friend

I stand corrected.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies