Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 20th December 2008, 02:36 PM
Friend

Default Wanted Nova Pod

I don't suppose anyone has a Nova pod processor lying about under a bench anywhere ? I have a Jobo TBE tempering bath and figure the addition of a Novapod would give me a simple tempered slot processor to try out before I jump in and buy the real thing .

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7288_1.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	88  
Old 21st December 2008, 01:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I don't suppose anyone has a Nova pod processor lying about under a bench anywhere ? I have a Jobo TBE tempering bath and figure the addition of a Novapod would give me a simple tempered slot processor to try out before I jump in and buy the real thing .

Paul

Sorry Paul but if it's any help I can thoroughly recommend the Nova Quad. I have a 12X16 version purchased from secondhand darkroom supplies. I use it for both RC and FB paper and I have to say it's made printing so much more pleasureable. Whilst it has some disadvangates such as the inability to see the print properly during development (you do see most of it as you lift and dunk however) the advantages stack up considerably
1) Space saving
2) Heats up quickly
3) Chemicals last weeks if care is taken
4) Allows productive use of the odd hour or so, you can get printing quickly
5) Fast shut down time at the end of the session.

Go on Paul, bite the bullet
Old 21st December 2008, 02:46 PM
Friend

It's the productive use of the odd hour that's appealing Andrew ,My darkroom is in the cellar and The temperature rarely gets above 15c 60f even in summer , So I use a water bath for my trays to keep everything at 20c which means I only print if I know I have time to sort everything.

I think your right Andrew I should stop procrastinating and get one , I've read enough good reports on the benefits of the Nova in all honesty , I'm just a little to cautious at times

Paul
Old 21st December 2008, 08:36 PM
Friend

Pau

I'd recommend the Nova Chemicals as well, economic and long lasting

Merry Christmas

Andrew
Old 21st December 2008, 11:59 PM
Friend

Paul I didn't realise that there was such a thing until a few weeks ago when I saw one on e-bay. I have been looking on e-bay for several months and this was the only one I have ever seen so there may be rare. However in your situation it seems you need a Quad with a thermostatically controlled water bath rather than a simple ambient temp pod.

I can only add my vote to a Nova Quad which I have. If you are into analogue printing for the long term then it's the way to go. Actually even if you are not then you might be able to sell it for nearly as much as you bought it for.

Depending on how quick you need one there is always e-bay in the New Year when people start to sell again - the next 10 days or so will probably be a little quiet - or there's Secondhand Darkroom Supplies. More expensive but you know what you're getting.

I'd also endorse Nova chems for the Nova Quad in terms of longevity and the ability to shorten dev and fix times considerably if you are happy to process into the high 20s in terms of temperature.

Mike
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:54 PM
Friend

Quote:

Paul
These were only available in the 10x8 size. I had one as a starter kit and used it for RA4 and B&W work. For colour I used to stand it in a washing up bowl full of warm water, and it worked well. For several reasons, none of them to do with the Nova product, I decided to go down the drum processing route. The pods don't appear on ebay all that often, certainly not as often as the type with the water jacket, and of those the 16x12 units are far more popular.
The one thing to keep in mind is that the slot processors are not designed to be moved when full, which can be a limitation.
Old 22nd December 2008, 06:48 PM
Friend

Many thanks for the advice everyone I have decided to bite the bullet and get hold of a Nova Quad , probably in the new year when I have got Christmas out of the way .

Paul
Old 22nd December 2008, 06:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Many thanks for the advice everyone I have decided to bite the bullet and get hold of a Nova Quad , probably in the new year when I have got Christmas out of the way .

Paul
Good idea, don't forget to make sure you get at least one print holder clip with it.
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Good idea, don't forget to make sure you get at least one print holder clip with it.
Paul, Nova sells a new Quad designed specially for FB paper, although I'm sure it works really well the older, uprighht version is readily available from SDS and I use mine regularly for FB printing. One piece of advice though is to use two Nova clips when processing 12X16 FB prints, this helps keep the paper rigid when transferring it to the stop bath.
SDS sell second hand clips, you can't have too many in my experience.
I use the last two slots for fixing baths testing regularly with Tetenal silver estimating papers. When the silver content of the first bath exceeds recommended limits I dispose of this and replace it with the second bath. A fresh batch is then made up to go in the first slot you have just emptied.

Another piece of advice, if the slots are a bit stained fill with Coke (the fizzy variety) leave for a few hours and drain.
Wonderful stuff!!!! wouldn't drink it though.

Merry Christmas

Andrew
Old 23rd December 2008, 02:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bartram View Post
Paul, Nova sells a new Quad designed specially for FB paper, although I'm sure it works really well the older, uprighht version is readily available from SDS and I use mine regularly for FB printing. One piece of advice though is to use two Nova clips when processing 12X16 FB prints, this helps keep the paper rigid when transferring it to the stop bath.
The Nova FB uses a sort of frame to hold the paper rather than using the clips, and the whole thing is inclined at about 30 degrees. Personally I find the standard upright Quad perfectly fine for 12x16, using only one clip, but I may be more than usually dextrous!

An interesting use for Coke, I wouldn't drink it either but it does clean rusty nails remarkably well! I've generally used caustic soda for cleaning my Nova, but actually somebody at Nova once told me there's really no need to clean it apart for cosmetic reasons. They sell something called "Tar Buster" for cleaning purposes though.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd