Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th October 2012, 06:35 PM
Friend

Default Enlarger Lens problems for a Beginner

I recently got a 35mm enlarger with a 50mm lens. the light spread on the base is a circle with decreasing exposure towards the edges. The problem appears to come from the lens. any tips for a newbie would be great. thanks a lot,

Cassim
Old 10th October 2012, 07:06 PM
Friend

if its a condenser enlarger first put the neg carrier in and adjust the height of the bulb up and down to give even light .can you tell us what enlarger it is ...........
Old 10th October 2012, 07:17 PM
Friend

What enlarger is it, and is this with the negative carrier in place or ove ut?
From what you describe this sounds as if the problem is with the negative carrier out, if so put in the negative carrier and all should be fine, if not then further thought will need to be given, but between us all we should have some ideas, also, welcome to Fadu.
Richard
Old 10th October 2012, 07:40 PM
Friend

Hi Cassim and welcome to FADU. A few more details about what equipment you have will certainly help us to help you. An brief introduction always helps. Even details about where you are located such as region or country will help us when it comes to referring to useful retail sources etc.

I am sure we can help here

Mike
Old 11th October 2012, 10:58 AM
Friend

It is a Patterson colour enlarger although I am only using it for colour. The problem occurs with or without the negative in. If I take the lens off it doesn't happen it's only when the lens is in.
Old 11th October 2012, 11:05 AM
Friend

Thanks Mike, I am located in London next to queens park close to maida vale. I am starting to use film and therefore a darkroom after studying photography for As level however my college located in marble arch has no darkroom facility's . I made one on the cheap in my shed to try and persue my love of film over digital however I have been given minimal direction on what is to be done apart from the Internet. I have been able to make some small prints however this problem has caused me to have difficulty printing on even a5 size paper. I have a Patterson colour enlarger. And illford chemicals.

That's me

Thank you, Cassim
Old 11th October 2012, 04:08 PM
Friend

Thanks Cassim. I know London's a big place but you may be within travelling distance of Silverprint and Process Supplies, both good stockists of materials. Martin at Silverprint may be in a position to examine your lens if you take it there when buying stuff

I am unfamiliar with Paterson enlargers but there's a good chance others here will know something. From what you have said the problem would appear to be connected with the lens alone and nothing else.

I will now "shoot in the dark" but if you hold the lens up to the light and open the aperture to max does it seem clear over the whole surface i.e. no signs of dirt or fungus at the edges?

Can you borrow another 50mm lens from anywhere and fit that to check if the lens is the problem?

Clearly if it's a colour enlarger does it have a dichroic head with dials for yellow, magenta and cyan? If so we can eliminate a problem with condenser position. On the other hand some condenser enlargers have a filter drawer for colour filters so might be described as colour enlargers but are still condenser units.

Yes, sorry but some questions we need to ask may appear to insult your intelligence.

Mike
Old 11th October 2012, 04:40 PM
Friend

This may sound stupid, but if you shake the lens gently does anything rattle?, it could just be a loose element in the lens, It is very difficult to tell without being able to examine the enlarger, but it does appear to be a lens problem, but one other thing, which may be a stupid question, but does the negative carrier have the correct mask for the actual negative in it, some negative carriers are uneversal and have different frames for different size negatives, certainly the new patterson enlarger is one such, and would have the different masks with it, so check carefully the mask is in place, as this could cause the problems you have, I have never used a patterson enlarger, but the previous incarnation was a Meopta enlarger rebadged as Patterson, Sorry for these probably stupid questions, but without them we cannot elinimate each possible cause untill we arrive at the solution,
Richard
Old 11th October 2012, 06:18 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Does the enlarger look like either of these?

If so I think it needs a condenser above the negative carrier and from what you say it sounds like this could be missing. The condenser presses on top of the negative to hold it flat and is Anti Newton treated.

If at all possible a photograph would really help even if it is from a phone camera.

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 11th October 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12th October 2012, 06:37 PM
Friend

Yes it is the second enlarger there, I tried to take a photograph of the problem however it was not possible. I will try and upload a picture of a print soon

Tags
darkroom, enlarger, enlarger lens
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies